Thread: All AMD graphic drivers (HOW TO)

Hybrid View

Default All AMD graphic drivers (HOW TO)

If you have an AMD graphic card and want to get compiz to work in Backtrack 4 or just update its driver then this is for you.

First of all here is the link where you can get the right driver for your card.
    Code:
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
    Make sure you scroll down in the first box and find linux and click on the linux x86 like so and find you graphic card driver.

Ok so now once it finished downloading it open up a terminal and get into the directory where you downloaded it.

Ok now just run this command to install
    Code:
    sh ./ati-driver-installer-10-3-x86.x86_64.run
    Note after the "sh ./" place the name of the driver you downloaded.

Now once you run it you will get a little something like this.

You should now what to do from here.

keep everything automatic and just keep clicking next or continue what it is.
    Last edited by enc0de; 04-03-2010 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Guess some people still lost.
    Stand up and be counted as a linux user.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: All AMD graphic drivers (HOW TO)

Nice guide but I feel left out at the end , I don't know what to do so could you please tell me (and any others ? )
    Thanks.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

If only it were so easy. I own 3 ATI cards, none of which are in legacy status and have excellent graphics capabilities in other operating systems but do not work well in linux unless you are going to do a whole lot of compiling and tweaking, maybe it works for some cards, but from what I have seen on the buntu forums it's nothing but headache, the main reason why I gave up and bought a lappy with an NVIDIA card.
    I may have been born with a silver spoon in my mouth but it does not mean I like to be spoon fed.

I've been saying this for over a decade - ATI's driver support is "lacking." Their linux drivers are an especially sexy piece of work with internal packaging errors, reliance on DKMS, and apparently NO lab testing. Though your attempt at a how-to is appreciated, it doesnt cover the issues that the majority of ATI users are experiencing.

BTW, Devs, any way to get/test that kernel yet?

Quote Originally Posted by skinnypuppy View Post
    If only it were so easy. I own 3 ATI cards, none of which are in legacy status and have excellent graphics capabilities in other operating systems but do not work well in linux unless you are going to do a whole lot of compiling and tweaking, maybe it works for some cards, but from what I have seen on the buntu forums it's nothing but headache, the main reason why I gave up and bought a lappy with an NVIDIA card.
    Witch ATI graphic cards do you have?
    Whats the problem with your ATI's cards?
    Everything runs perfect with mine I have the ATI Radeon 3200HD on my hp dv-7 laptop. It has been working great.
    Stand up and be counted as a linux user.

Just burned his ISO

I've never figured out what everyone is doing that requires sophisticated graphics setups on their penguins. When I started, computers didn't have color graphics, and curses was the screen library for UNIX. Fedora, Ubuntu, FreeBSD (not linux but just as open) work fine (on my machine) without doing anything. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
    When I started, computers didn't have color graphics, and curses was the screen library for UNIX. Fedora, Ubuntu, FreeBSD (not linux but just as open) work fine (on my machine) without doing anything.
    Ah I love a good "Back in my day!" speech.

I'd agree that enabling sophisticated graphics drivers doesnt have much practical use in BackTrack. Its useful for gaming, watching hi definition video and for "desktop effects", all of which you can do without if you're pentesting. I have my work BackTrack system configured with Compiz to do the rotating cube thing, but thats really just mainly pointless eye candy.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Good friend of the forums Eatme's Avatar

problem solved..
    Last edited by Eatme; 09-26-2010 at 10:13 PM.
    Wiffy-Auto-Cracker - was the best thing that ever happen to me. :) Wo0oT :)
    AWUSO36H_500mW_5dBi Antenna