Thread: Strange Network problem

Just burned his ISO

Default Strange Network problem

Got a strange problem when using BT4.

I have a laptop which connects to wireless networks fine under WinXP.

Boot off a USB stick into BT4, enable networking then fire up the wireless manager.

It shows all the networks in range. If I click to connect to one of the unsecured networks BT home hubs dish out I connect fine and get an IP from DHCP.

If I try and connect to a secured network I fail to pickup an IP from DHCP. If I configure manual entries I still can't communicate with anything. I just get destination unreachable when I try and ping anything. There is a route in the table for the gateway.

I have tried all sorts so far and browsed many articles on using wireless and BT4. Perhaps I have missed the one entry I need but I just can't find a solution which works for me.

Any help?

Default Re: Strange Network problem

What are the commands your are using to start networking and wireless manager?

I am assuming /etc/init.d/networking start and /etc/init.d/wicd start?

If you are connecting to a wireless network, try just typing /etc/init.d/wicd start and try connecting the wireless network with the manager.

If I remember correctly I had an issue once with starting both networking and wireless manager and could not connect to my wireless at all. (Also this could have been when BT4 was in beta)

Let me know

Just burned his ISO

Right.. to connect to wireless network you must start wicd and configure it

So...

/etc/init.d/wicd start

start-menu; Internet; wicd

Just burned his ISO

When connecting to the Secure network, do you have the "Enable Encryption" (or something like that) box checked?

Can you connect via commandline?

Just burned his ISO

Hey, thanks for the response.

I have tried starting them via the commands you mention as well as through the BT4 'start menu'.

I connected to a wireless network via the Wicd manager, filling in all the details then started wireshark and tried to ping the gateway.

All I see are my ARPs broadcasting for the gw IP.

If I leave the settings on DHCP and watch Wireshark I get to watch my DHCP discover packets broadcast out but get no response.

Have checked in iwconfig that I am associated with the right AP - the ESSID and AP MAC are all correct.

Tried just running /etc/init.d/wicd start and then connecting but still no luck.

What really confuses me is that if I connect to one of the unsecured networks I get an IP fine... the BT home hubs seem to have an unsecure network or 2 running - BTFON and BTOpenzone.

Apparently these let you share your connection with people and in return you get access to wifi hotspots... Anyway if I let the wicd connect to them I get an IP just fine.

I seem to be rambling so I shall stop now!

Quote Originally Posted by Qsl1pKNOTP View Post
    When connecting to the Secure network, do you have the "Enable Encryption" (or something like that) box checked?

Can you connect via commandline?
    Yep, I have option selected - if I watch the WicD app running it authenticates with the AP then moves on to trying to get an IP.

I just tried connecting using the iwconfig options and it worked. Does this mean its just a bug in WicD or with me??

I appreciate your feedback
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 04-16-2010 at 06:43 PM.