Thread: Can't authenticate any more - what's changed?!

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy Can't authenticate any more - what's changed?!

Hi apologies if I sound uneducated in the ways of backtrack but I haven't been using it long at all,
    A few months ago I used it and successfully cracked 2 weps with no trouble at all using airodump, aireplay and aircrack.

Now after losing those connections and finding a couple more likely wifi candidates (all belonging to me of course..) I have found I can't associate with any of them, getting the message in the way of 'association unsuccesful, this may be due to a number of reasons etc..' instead of the smiley I used to get.

I have also noticed that my PWR readings are constantly 0 for all 15 or so APs when I airodump-ng and stay that way indefinitely.

I am using a PCI wireless card by belkin; chipset Ralink b/g; Driver Rt61, with an aftermarket booster antenna which I presume is irrelevant.

The only thing that's changed since then is I have upgraded to windows 7 which shouldn't matter I assume as I am booting to Backtrack off the CD drive. I also have bought an Asus N13 usb wireless card but this doesn't even show up in Backtrack.

I know I haven't provided enough information but if anyone could help ie. by first letting me know what info is needed from me for diagnosis of the problem then would be very much appreciated!

Default Re: Can't authenticate any more - what's changed?!

Hi apologies if I sound uneducated in the ways of backtrack
    I have no problem with this, it's on your account.

A few months ago I used it and successfully cracked 2 weps with no trouble at all ......... Now after losing those connections and finding a couple more likely wifi candidates (all belonging to me of course..)
    I do however have a problem with you likely being untruthful. If you have already "cracked 2 weps" then you've made your point. Move on to something else. Referring to your own wireless networks as "wifi candidates" just doesn't make sense. If you were attacking the same "2 weps" that presumably belong to you, you would have been able to do it as you did the first time ('cause nothing has changed). And if these "wifi candidates" are different networks then the ones you penetrated in the past, then I gotta ask you - just how many wireless networks do you have?
    SecurityTube has two new sections. Questions & News

Easy fix: push the reset button on all your AP's and start over. Or get in the same room as them.

Quote Originally Posted by #mfBaranian# View Post
    [snip] - just how many wireless networks do you have?
    Apparently enough laying around they "forgot" they had. Remarkably all plugged in & powered up

Just burned his ISO

Ok well first thanks both of you for replying, and secondly yes I'm sorry I wasn't entirely truthful the networks don't belong to me, I don't have one of my own and wanted the practice. I hinted at this with 'wifi candidates' but hoped the issue would be skirted.

I don't know how serious this is on these forums but I'm sure you've come across it before. If, now you know my true intentions, the problem can't be addressed then please just bump the thread and be done with it.

I'm not a bad person!

Quote Originally Posted by RakeSnake View Post
    Ok well first thanks both of you for replying, and secondly yes I'm sorry I wasn't entirely truthful the networks don't belong to me, I don't have one of my own and wanted the practice. I hinted at this with 'wifi candidates' but hoped the issue would be skirted.

I don't know how serious this is on these forums but I'm sure you've come across it before. If, now you know my true intentions, the problem can't be addressed then please just bump the thread and be done with it.

I'm not a bad person!
    Get your own network to practice on. I would assume that if you wanted practice in picking locks you wouldnt try and obtain it by going from door to door in your neighborhood, so by the same token dont practice your wireless hacking on your neighbors.

Im closing the thread, the next mention you make of illegal behaviour earns you a ban.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.