Thread: will there be a "new" general IT discussion forum

Default will there be a "new" general IT discussion forum

I apologize if this is the wrong sub forum to approach this subject, but since I cannot seem to post new threads in the old "general IT discussion forum" I was just wondering if there are any plans to create a new one?

I was a frequent user/reader of that particular sub forum on the old forum and I hope there are plans to create something similar on this forum.

As mentioned, if this is the wrong sub forum to adress this issue I apologize.

I have been going through the FAQ forum without finding any mentions of the old general IT discussion sub forum so I just wanted to check if anyone here knows about any plans to re-create a similar place.

Developer

Default Re: will there be a "new" general IT discussion forum

The old forums are locked and for archive viewing purposes only. I know we kicked around the idea when the forum first started and we decided not to. I will bring it up to the war council and we shall see what is decided.

Thanks for your reply.

I can see reasons for both having, and not having such a sub-forum so I understand the decision of locking the old forum.

However, many of the users on this particular site have very comprehensive knowledge on matters not directly backtrack/security related which indeed could be a great resource as well. Also, without that sub-forum, certain users might try to start completely unrelated threads about IT/HW where they would not belong.

But the intention of keeping a BackTrack forum limited to this linux distro and security issues is by all means understandable

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

When I talked with muts about this (when we first transitioned) I felt lucky getting an "expert topics" and video section listed. The idea was to not cater to "general IT" considering that there are tons of other sites better devoted to such. Also the focus should be on BT which seems appropriate to me. I think one of the biggest problems it that we have to limit the amount of "trash" that also tends to gather over time. Sure there is a ton of great resources in the archives but sometimes you really have to dig for it.

Good points indeed, come to think of it - such a sub forum could possibly attract members with no particular interest in IT security but who only needed a place for "support" and to ask questions not related to the main purpose of this site.

I understand the decision to drop that sub forum completely, but I will miss it a lot though