Thread: Difference Between Hard Drive Install and Guest Operating System Install?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Difference Between Hard Drive Install and Guest Operating System Install?

Okay i read that if you are running Backtrack 4 on vmplayer as a guest operating system it doesn't detect your internal wireless card as a physical device and will not show up when you type in airmon-ng. I read it only detects usb devices. Is that true? I am running windows 7 and am wondering if i could mess up my operating system by installing backtrack 4 on my hard drive? also if i do install it on my hard drive will my internal wireless card work with airmon-ng? Thanks

Default Re: Difference Between Hard Drive Install and Guest Operating System Install?

Yes its true that your internal wireless will not be found inside a VM. The VM will only have full access to a wireless card that is a USB device.

You 'could' mess up your operating system by installing BT on your harddrive, but only if you do not know what you are doing... And seeing as how your name is what it is, I'll assume that you will mess up your system if you try.

Yes, IF you install to the harddrive you will see your internal wireless card.

My suggestion? Run a LiveCD instead of installing it, that way you don't break your 7 machine and you can still use BT4.

EDIT:
    Seeing as how your other post was a little... Fuzzy with your ethics this might be the most I'm willing to help you with.
    Link to fuzzy ethics: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...tml#post157921
    Last edited by micole; 04-13-2010 at 04:17 PM.
    Common Knowledge: Username, "root". Password, "toor". "startx" gives you a GUI, and "fix-vesa" will fix BT if you have no GUI. Start networking with "/etc/init.d/networking start" and check your IP settings with "ifconfig -a". "dhclient" will automatically use DHCP for your IP. Google is your friend.

Default Re: Difference Between Hard Drive Install and Guest Operating System Install?

Quote Originally Posted by micole View Post
    My suggestion? Run a LiveCD instead of installing it, that way you don't break your 7 machine and you can still use BT4.
    This really does seem like the best advice.

Especially given that you're a self admitted "linuxretard" and BT isn't aimed at the newbie crowd. (If you wanna start using linux try a more generalized distro like Ubuntu).
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by linuxretard View Post
    Okay i read that if you are running Backtrack 4 on vmplayer as a guest operating system it doesn't detect your internal wireless card as a physical device and will not show up when you type in airmon-ng. I read it only detects usb devices. Is that true? I am running windows 7 and am wondering if i could mess up my operating system by installing backtrack 4 on my hard drive? also if i do install it on my hard drive will my internal wireless card work with airmon-ng? Thanks
    Generally when I close a thread with a link to the forum faq that means you did not bother to search and have asked a question that has been answer repeatedly. By closing the thread I also intend for you to not start a new one on the same topic!

Again All of the above questions have been answered both in this thread and the faq.
    I would also suggest you not us BT since if you can't bother to read your not going to get very far.
    You can also try reading here.
    Wireless card issue one above http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...irtualbox.html
    Worried about windows question two above see here http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...t-mess-up.html
    Using internal wireless cards with a HDD install see here http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...backtrack.html

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ad-thread.html
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 04-13-2010 at 06:51 PM.