Thread: Problem installing BT4 Final

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Problem installing BT4 Final

Hi everyone, this is my first time trying BT so please bear with me. I'm trying to install BT4 as a dual-boot on a laptop currently running Windows 7. I downloaded the BT4 Final .iso and verified that the md5 hash was correct. Burned the .iso to a DVD and also to a USB key with UNetbootin. The problem I'm having is that whenever I try to boot BT so I can install it I get this error: Missing operating system, it happens with both the DVD and the USB key. I appreciate any help or suggestions.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: Problem installing BT4 Final

Sounds like a windows error to me, instead of a linux error message.
    OK Computer specs can help us.
    Make sure usb and or dvd boot is available in the bios and do you know if any other live media can boot from this laptop?

Just burned his ISO

Is this the first time you have installed a dual boot system? What are the steps you took on the computer to prepare it for dual boot?

this happened to me with one of USB drives as well, i had followed some tutorial to instal Linux on it but it didn't work.Roughly remember that was some 8GB flash drive with enhanced protection,at least it always asked to set some password when plugged within Windows.No matter what i did (deleting partitions, formatting etc.).
    try that DVD somewhere else if at least working.When booting from DVD/USB choose it manually in BIOS or in BOOT menu of that laptop and also make sure there is no other USB drive sticked in laptop.

Shrek , I also wanted to do a dual boot , but I did exactly what was instructed on the backtrack website , Worked like a charm. If you cant wait , just download another iso from the website , and then burn it to dvd and follow the instructions on the website , it should work like a charm. The problem I had was that twice i tried installing backtrack by taking up the whole empty win c drive , That gave me errors , I needed to boot win 7 let it do the check disk , then re do a boot of the BT DVD , Finally everything worked.

Just burned his ISO

I heard that problem before it is common with notebooks/netbooks that they have problems with booting.
    Because most note/netbooks have and modified bios,

If your want to boot from DVD you have to set the DVD-R(W) as first bootable item then the harddisk once completed the install you have to set it back to original, 1st HDD, USB, ect ect, I dont know if it works for al notebooks, but give it a shot, it wont destroy anything.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm trying a different DVD and also a different thumb drive just to make sure. This isn't the first time I've dual-booted this laptop. It used to dual-boot Windows 7 and Fedora.

Just burned his ISO

hello not sure this right place but im haveing big problem installing bt4.i have dl the iso from site burnt to dvd.i have rebooted pc and i keep getting this message PXE-E00 Could not find enough free base memory.any help would be great? and sorry if i posted in wrong section

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the help guys I finally got it installed, apparently both of my first 2 DVDs were bad burns so it looks like the third time was the charm.