Thread: Persistent changes in KDE graphic interface

Just burned his ISO

Default Persistent changes in KDE graphic interface

Hello,
    This is a beginner's question that's why I post it here. I installed BT4 R1 on my usb hdd following the instructions found here Backtrack 4 – USB/Persistent Changes/Nessus . I choose the option 4 "Live CD persistent" (which is now my default option"). Then I enter startx and enter KDE graphic interface. But the changes I make there (eg when I place an icon on the desktop, or when I safe a bookmark in firefox, or when I add html files in a dir in var/www) are lost when I reboot.
    Do I need to do something more to make to keep these changes after rebooting? Please help!
    Thanks in advance
    e.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Persistent changes in KDE graphic interface

I am having the same problem. Any file or folder I put on my desktop is gone the next time I reboot. The files I save directly to my USB drive do stay. Any help?

Default Re: Persistent changes in KDE graphic interface

I had the same problem as you two are having when I first tried installing BT4R1 to USB using that tutorial.

I tried other methods (unetbootin, some shell script), but they failed as well.

As soon as I tried installing it AGAIN, it worked (and has worked since). Maybe I missed a command, or maybe my drive wasn't formatted properly. Tutorial is here: Backtrack 4 – USB/Persistent Changes/Nessus

I know it's a PITA, but try formatting the drive completely and starting again. i formatted my 8GB thumb drive to FAT32 using gparted before installing again.

Just burned his ISO

Red face Re: Persistent changes in KDE graphic interface

Yes! It worked... for the most part. All command line stuff worked up until the last 2 commands. So I booted back into windows and used UNetbootin to copy the ISO over to my thumb drive. I booted off the thumb drive with no problems. I then created a test file on the desktop, rebooted and it was still there!

Thanks!