Thread: Ettercap, ARP Poisoning in VMware

Just burned his ISO

Default Ettercap, ARP Poisoning in VMware

Hello,

i hope someone can help me. I use Backtrack 4 in a VMware. On the VMware settings i set the network adapter to briged. I followed the tutorial of g0tmi1k "Stripping SSL & Sniffing HTTPS" (big thanks to him for this very good tutorial). The VM runs on a laptop connectet to the LAN with wireless card. When i start the network i type in in the shell: start-network, wicd-client.

Well, i followed exactly the tutorial of g0tmi1k but the victim machine loses the connection to the internet. So i cant sniff. I dont know why. The Router ARP Table is not fix.

When i run wireshark i see an ARP frame where it tells "Mac duplicated". Maybe the router sees that there are two same mac addresses?

Or is there a problem with ettercap and vmware? Maybe because i set the network adapter to briged?
    Maybe someone can help me.
    Thank you.

Default Re: Ettercap, ARP Poisoning in VMware

Have you edited the /etc/etter.conf file?
    "Failing to plan is planning to fail"

Just burned his ISO

Hi,
    thank you for your reply.

Yes i edited the etter.conf.

Well, i did some research with google and i found other users with the same problem, but it looks like there is a solution for this problem. A wireless usb adapter can solve it.
    Im just wondering why it isnt possible. I know that Vmware doesnt allow to set your network card in promiscuous mode. I found this out when i used wireshark. In BT3 i lost the lan connection when i runned wireshark in promiscuous mode, but i am not sure if ettercap sets the network card in promiscuous mode.

I ordered a wireless usb network adapter today so i will post here again when the arp spoofing works with the adapter.

Just burned his ISO

Hello,

well, i got my usb network adapter and it works fine now. The victim machine does not lose anymore the i-net connection. It was not the promisc mode of ettercap since i deactivated it before i started the attack. So i still dont know why it does not work with the integrated network card.
    But, that is not a problem anymore .