Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Extremely Strange Problem!

  1. #1
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3

    Default Extremely Strange Problem!

    I have a wireless router HG520s. I have enabled a hidden (nonbroadcast) mode on channel 1 with WEP encryption (64bit / 10 hexadecimal chars). Mac filter is not enabled. Name of ESSID is "homenet", everythig else is usually by default.
    Now, when I try to connect with my laptop (os=winxp) I can't see the essid (because it's hidden). Well I know I have to set it manually. I open windows wlan manager and go advanced (win-firewall is disabled) and create new wlan network profile to connect with, I set up the credentials, name of ap, enc wep, and the rest of stuff (I assume you know how 'hard' it is) and then I can see when refresh wireless network my own network, but the PROBLEM is that I have a Limited Access or/and no access to internet. I remind you that router is well connected and there is internet on lan ports, but I can't access through wireless with my laptop.
    In fact I can only see my essid and that broadcatsing is active, pwr is good, distance is not the problem. My laptop cannot get ip assigned and the same problem is with my E51 nokia (No Gateway Reply!).

    I think I said enough. Now any of you experts guys please try to explain me how's this possible for god's sake!?

    Thank you for reading my post and hopefully someone will reply on it.

    Cheers

    P.S. If someone wants to write me my email is pro003@panonnet.net and the msn is pro003@hotmail.com

  2. #2
    Senior Member hypervista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    121

    Default Re: Extremely Strange Problem!

    pro003 - no disrespect, but I think you would do better to post your question on a Windows forum. That said, check your TCP/IP (DHCP, DNS, etc.) settings.

  3. #3
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Extremely Strange Problem!

    Doesn't have nothing to do with windows and my question is not OS related. The ONLY way I can see my hidden AP is through BACKTRACK (i.e. airodump-ng <interface>)!

    Let me stress again, I think this problem is not OS related. Doesn't have to do nothing with Windows, I've been Linux user for years. My wife is using Windows 7 on our home PC, I dual boot Linux on the same computer and my son is using XP on his laptop *(his ten).

    Now can anybody explain how can Access Point broadcast BUT you can see it only through BACKTRACK!???

    Second: I am able to
    Code:
    $ ifconfig wlan0 up
    $ iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed 
    $ iwconfig wlan0 channel 1
    $ iwconfig wlan0 essid <nameofessid>
    $ iwconfig wlan0 key <my64bitwepkey-10chars>
    ..and when type iwconfig in terminal I get the wlan0 associated with the AP both with the MAC address above, you know.

    The problem is I can't obtain an IP from my router. However when I assign IP to wlan0 manually through 'ifconfig' and 'route add default gw 192.168.1.1' - I still can't ping 192.168.1.1 which supposed to be gateway. But, at the same time I can see the activity of my routers address 192.168.1.1 binding to dest 212.0.0.1 or whatever!

    I would say this problem is Wireless Networking related and not OS. I have been using backtrack for various analysis for couple of years and I wanted to post my problem here in this forum among people who I believe deeply understand network protocols and to be honest this is the last thing that I could imagine as a reply to my post. No offense!

  4. #4
    Senior Member micole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    121

    Default Re: Extremely Strange Problem!

    Quote Originally Posted by pro003 View Post
    Doesn't have nothing to do with windows and my question is not OS related. The ONLY way I can see my hidden AP is through BACKTRACK (i.e. airodump-ng <interface>)!

    Let me stress again, I think this problem is not OS related. Doesn't have to do nothing with Windows, I've been Linux user for years. My wife is using Windows 7 on our home PC, I dual boot Linux on the same computer and my son is using XP on his laptop *(his ten).

    Now can anybody explain how can Access Point broadcast BUT you can see it only through BACKTRACK!???
    Because BT is designed to see stuff like that... IE: Network testing.
    Quote Originally Posted by pro003 View Post
    The problem is I can't obtain an IP from my router. However when I assign IP to wlan0 manually through 'ifconfig' and 'route add default gw 192.168.1.1' - I still can't ping 192.168.1.1 which supposed to be gateway. But, at the same time I can see the activity of my routers address 192.168.1.1 binding to dest 212.0.0.1 or whatever!
    "or whatever" doesn't help us. If your IP address was binding to 212.0.0.1 its different from binding to 127.0.0.1.
    Quote Originally Posted by pro003 View Post
    I would say this problem is Wireless Networking related and not OS. I have been using backtrack for various analysis for couple of years and I wanted to post my problem here in this forum among people who I believe deeply understand network protocols and to be honest this is the last thing that I could imagine as a reply to my post. No offense!
    None taken, but be forewarned, this was a BT Beginners forum that you posted into. If you ask questions that are not DIRECTLY related to BT (an example being "my BT wont boot") then we only assume that your posting a question that is not BT related (happens more then you think).

    Just a few things that confuse me:

    You seem to be knowing of basic networking techniques but can't troubleshoot a router/switch/hub/network setup, seems a little odd.

    You say you have been using BT for a couple of years, this means that you should know how the community would have reacted, even if you never post and only lurk behind reading other peoples posts.

    Make sure that DHCP isn't running on your AP and if it is try a 'dhclient' instead of setting it manually, I don't think that your gw is the default 192.168.1.X setup if you can't see anything, and if nothing can connect.

    If nothing can connect have you tried turning it off and on again?

    Welcome to the BT forums.
    Common Knowledge: Username, "root". Password, "toor". "startx" gives you a GUI, and "fix-vesa" will fix BT if you have no GUI. Start networking with "/etc/init.d/networking start" and check your IP settings with "ifconfig -a". "dhclient" will automatically use DHCP for your IP. Google is your friend.

  5. #5
    Senior Member hypervista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    121

    Default Re: Extremely Strange Problem!

    Your original post made NO mention of Backtrack, but did mention Windows three times all in the context of an apparent TCP/IP settings and/or DNS problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by pro003
    when I try to connect with my laptop (os=winxp)
    Quote Originally Posted by pro003
    I open windows wlan manager and go advanced (win-firewall is disabled)
    Please excuse my mistake in interpreting your post as relating to Windows and not Backtrack.

    As I said before, check your network settings (DHCP, TCP/IP, and DNS settings).

  6. #6
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3

    Default

    micole, thank you for your comment. you got that right about knowing what would be the reaction if I post something like this here on this forum. To be honest I am not a forum guy, as you can see this is my first thread here on bt forum and I have been registered for a pretty long time. I try not to bother people with stupid questions like "oh my god I cant dual boot" or "where is my sound" and stuff. I simply resolve things on my own. I do a lot reading and using google as friend, and thats how I do. But now I really got stuck. This has never happened before.

    I did not mention that activity of my router ip 192.168.1.1 was seen through wireshark, I can also see activity of my lan connected pc on 192.168.1.2 and sometimes 0.0.0.0 but never saw 127.0.0.0
    When i ping 192.168.1.1 from my manually set IP 192.168.1.3, I can see that wireshark is reporting , but however 'network is unreachable'.

    micole I have tried with rebooting the router and the problem still exists. And I also tried 'dhclient wlan0', but with no success either.

    hypervista, everything is cool man... it's just a little misunderstanding, that's all.

    I want to add one more thing, I'm not an expert in these things, I'm just an average user with some basic knowledge but I always want to learn more and get to the bottom of things, just like this one.

    Thank you for your time gentlemen. It seems like I won't get the answers here. My last reply was not even posted and I didn't swear or break any forum rules and I am not quite sure even if this one's get published by moderators. However, good luck to everyone on this forum who tries to hack into his home wlan, 'way to go, you're almost there'!
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 04-10-2010 at 07:32 PM.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    8,012

    Default Re: Extremely Strange Problem!

    Quote Originally Posted by pro003 View Post
    It seems like I won't get the answers here. My last reply was not even posted and I didn't swear or break any forum rules and I am not quite sure even if this one's get published by moderators.
    You won't get any help by crying that's for sure. Now as for your post/s not appearing well that's because it was in the moderation queue. If you would have read the rules you agreed to uphold as a member of this community then you would have known that it may take a bit of time for your posts to appear and not to complain about it.

  8. #8
    Developer
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    6,126

    Default Re: Extremely Strange Problem!

    Also please bear in mind that we just added a lot of new moderators and some of them are still getting used to the forum software so its possible a post got "lost" . If you have any more probelms with the forum or its rules please contact a forum admin such as myself or balding parrot

  9. #9
    My life is this forum thorin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,629

    Default Re: Extremely Strange Problem!

    Please stop using double negatives.
    "Doesn't have to do nothing with Windows"

    Actually means it has everything to do with Windows.

    The problem is I can't obtain an IP from my router. However when I assign IP to wlan0 manually through 'ifconfig' and 'route add default gw 192.168.1.1' - I still can't ping 192.168.1.1 which supposed to be gateway. But, at the same time I can see the activity of my routers address 192.168.1.1 binding to dest 212.0.0.1 or whatever!
    Try doing a search for "dhclient".

    I can also see activity of my lan connected pc on 192.168.1.2 and sometimes 0.0.0.0 but never saw 127.0.0.0
    Wow you can't see traffic from 127.0.0.0 on your network, imagine that

    I want to add one more thing, I'm not an expert in these things, I'm just an average user with some basic knowledge but I always want to learn more and get to the bottom of things, just like this one.
    That's fine but really you should start with some networking 101 or intro to networking reading/classes. If you don't have a basic grasp on networking why would you try to jump right in with a Linux distro that is specifically aimed at IT/Network security testing?

    If you couldn't swim would you climb up the high tower and jump in the deep end of the pool and then ask a lifeguard/instructor for advice while you sank to the bottom of the pool and drown? (Ignoring the fact that you wouldn't be able to speak with your lungs full of water.) Because that's kinda what you're doing here.
    Crawl (use Ubuntu or some other generic Linux) > Walk (Continue to use Ubuntu and Windows while you get some generalized networking knowledge) > Run (Try BT or another specialized OS once you've gained some knowledge and familiarity with the territory you're going to operate in).
    Last edited by thorin; 04-12-2010 at 12:12 PM.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

    I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Similar Threads

  1. strange Problem with Cowpatty
    By jenbo in forum OLD BackTrack 4 (pre) Final
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-23-2009, 07:12 PM
  2. Strange wifi problem with BT3/BT4 using usb
    By propercoil in forum OLD Newbie Area
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-21-2009, 04:48 PM
  3. ipw3495 - strange problem
    By n00b_h4xx0r in forum OLD BT3final Bugs and Fixes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-21-2009, 12:34 PM
  4. Strange boot problem
    By Slammer in forum OLD BT3final Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-04-2008, 11:11 AM
  5. strange problem
    By Zyon1989 in forum OLD Newbie Area
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-17-2007, 04:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •