Thread: Sniff WPA/WPA2

Hybrid View

Default Sniff WPA/WPA2

Now I have been searching this topic for a bit now and have not found a single good fact. Is it possible to sniff WPA encrypted passwords.
    Stand up and be counted as a linux user.

Red face Re: Sniff WPA/WPA2

Quote Originally Posted by enc0de View Post
    Now I have been searching this topic for a bit now and have not found a single good fact. Is it possible to sniff WPA encrypted passwords.
    So far I found out that you can get the WPA-PSK password or passphrase by doing a bruteforce attack or a dictonary attack.
    You can also try to get the key by running a rainbow table attack as well.

The problem as far as I know is that you cannot get the key if the password isn´t listed in the actually dictonary file or the wordlist.
    There are several such wordlist, dictonary list, wpa tables out there, some up to 30GB in size.
    A bruteforce attack may take days or weeks to complete and further more not sure if even then it can crack a 128bit cryption.

I would love to see a solution to this as one of my previous attempt failed..

First you need to sniff an access point e.g. by using airodump-ng, then you need to deauthenticate an aktive station to capture a handshake which is common with WPA, then you need to crack the captured ARP package with either aircrack, cowpatty or some other kind of password crack method, all depending on the dictonary list, wpa table or wordlist that you have.

So to summen up, with my knowledge so far, no there is no easy way to get a wpa key if it is not allready listed in the list provided for cracking the captured packets.

PS..
    I would love to be proven wrong here

Default Re: Sniff WPA/WPA2

Quote Originally Posted by exeption View Post
    So far I found out that you can get the WPA-PSK password or passphrase by doing a bruteforce attack or a dictonary attack.
    You can also try to get the key by running a rainbow table attack as well.

The problem as far as I know is that you cannot get the key if the password isn´t listed in the actually dictonary file or the wordlist.
    There are several such wordlist, dictonary list, wpa tables out there, some up to 30GB in size.
    A bruteforce attack may take days or weeks to complete and further more not sure if even then it can crack a 128bit cryption.

I would love to see a solution to this as one of my previous attempt failed..

First you need to sniff an access point e.g. by using airodump-ng, then you need to deauthenticate an aktive station to capture a handshake which is common with WPA, then you need to crack the captured ARP package with either aircrack, cowpatty or some other kind of password crack method, all depending on the dictonary list, wpa table or wordlist that you have.

So to summen up, with my knowledge so far, no there is no easy way to get a wpa key if it is not allready listed in the list provided for cracking the captured packets.

PS..
    I would love to be proven wrong here
    That's the whole point to wpa, it's better then wep. There's no way to get the password without a dictionary attack, in which case it has to be in the dictionary, or brute force, in which case I have a better chance of getting attacked by a great white shark in my back yard if it's a good password.

I've cracked WPA/WPA2 with pyrit but I was just wonderong if you can sniff it I didn't ask for a lecture just yes or no. If yes then I was going to research it and oh I know how this game is played and I don't someone telling me, been here long enough.
    Stand up and be counted as a linux user.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

I've cracked WPA/WPA2 with pyrit but I was just wonderong if you can sniff it I didn't ask for a lecture just yes or no. If yes then I was going to research it and oh I know how this game is played and I don't someone telling me, been here long enough.
    First of all if it is obvious to our members that one did not bother to search then expect a bit of flaming to take place. It is part and parcel to the online communities. Second if you have been here "long enough" then you would already know this. As such the final word is Search.

Yes.........

Who hasn't searched hard enough?

Try Harder.
    Last edited by micole; 04-07-2010 at 11:56 PM. Reason: quoted wrong thing on accident
    Common Knowledge: Username, "root". Password, "toor". "startx" gives you a GUI, and "fix-vesa" will fix BT if you have no GUI. Start networking with "/etc/init.d/networking start" and check your IP settings with "ifconfig -a". "dhclient" will automatically use DHCP for your IP. Google is your friend.