Thread: Please help me configure my wifi card.

Just burned his ISO

Default Please help me configure my wifi card.

i have a problem after running BT4 on my computer i have no internet so i follow these steps also i have a wired connection

1. ifconfig -a to find out what networks i have
    2. learn my network is eth0 so i take the next step
    3. ifconfig eth0 up

and it works just my internet doesent work afterwards so could someone please help me out thank you
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 04-07-2010 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Thread title did not follow rules

Default Re: need help

Did you follow this guide?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

i tried
    /etc/init.d/networking start
    and it didn't work it said it wasent found

Quote Originally Posted by shadowhound1 View Post
    i tried
    /etc/init.d/networking start
    and it didn't work it said it wasent found
    Do you have your Ethernet cable plugged in?
    Does your setup allow DHCP?
    Are you trying to connect to a wireless network?
    Do you have your name servers setup?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowhound1 View Post
    i have a problem after running BT4 on my computer i have no internet so i follow these steps also i have a wired connection
    See, the "also I have" makes me think your trying to connect to wireless and not your wired connection...

EDIT:
    You gotta love people who don't understand the purpose of a forum. Just got this PM from Shadowhound1 (OP) asking me for help, instead of just following up his original question on here.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowhound1
    Hey i mannaged to get my wired network up by doing
    ifup ath0

i got a new wireless usb today with a 3 DB atenna attached i am going later modifi this haha

but it doesent seem to work when i try to activate it by doing

ifup ra0

it tells me
    ignoring interface ra0=ra0

could you help me out please
    So, shadowhound1, have we learned what a forum is for? If you have a problem, you search to see if someone else had the same problem. If you can not find your problem (unlikely) then you post a question and hope to get positive feedback (likely if the question is uncommon), this way if someone else has a problem/question of the same nature they do the first step again (searching).

Sending a PM asking for help is just defeating that purpose of a community. So I pose the question for everyone to answer, what is shadowhound1's problem (sent to me via PM), and what can he do to fix it?

EDIT, EDIT:
    Seems that shadowhound1 posted his question... Seems he just copy-pasted his PM to me here: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...wifi-card.html
    Last edited by micole; 04-07-2010 at 05:04 PM.
    Common Knowledge: Username, "root". Password, "toor". "startx" gives you a GUI, and "fix-vesa" will fix BT if you have no GUI. Start networking with "/etc/init.d/networking start" and check your IP settings with "ifconfig -a". "dhclient" will automatically use DHCP for your IP. Google is your friend.

Just burned his ISO

i learnt that doing
    ifup ath0
    makes the wired connection work

i bought a wifi card today and have a problem getting that to work

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Do not double post or create a new thread on the same topic.
    Check the how-to and faq sections of the forums. There will be a guide titled how-to get networking started.
    This topic has been covered.