Thread: Good WPA-PSK handshake capture but dictionaries known to have passphrase not working

Just burned his ISO

Question Good WPA-PSK handshake capture but dictionaries known to have passphrase not working

Hey all,

I just registered for the forums but have been reading through and working with BT4 for a few weeks now. I've learned how to crack WEP on my own network and moved on to WPA-PSK today. I've got a good capture from airodump and aireplay from my network but no matter what I do aircrack says that the passphrase isn't in my dictionary. I've put the passphrase in a dictionary three times just to be sure, made a dictionary with only the passphrase, and changed the passphrase to "warriors" which is found in the /pentest/wireless/aircrack-ng/test/Password.lst file, yet none of the three have worked. I'm using a Linksys WRT54G v.6 AP and an Alfa AWUS036H adapter and the injection and de-auth works fine and I capture a handshake.

Seems I'm doing everything right, but it's got me stumped. Any ideas?

Thanks for any input

Default Re: Good WPA-PSK handshake capture but dictionaries known to have passphrase not work

Try deauthenticating with a higher count, as in:

aireplay-ng -0 15 -a <AP> -c <client MAC> <iface>
    The standard is aireplay-ng -0 1 <yadda yadda>, However, I've found that increasing the number of deauths helps to ensure you get a good handshake. (Hat tip to Batsley).

When I'd get a WPA handshake with the standard deauth of 1, often aircrack-ng would not find the passphrase in the list. But when I increase the deauths, it seems to work better.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Good WPA-PSK handshake capture but dictionaries known to have passphrase not work

I think I ran it with 10 deauths just to be sure. I'll try it with double when I get home.

I'm actually sitting in my Security+ class discussing BT and its uses, but I'm bored now since I've been working with it in my downtime.

Thanks hyper, I was beginning to think I was on my own on that one.

Just burned his ISO

Cool Re: Good WPA-PSK handshake capture but dictionaries known to have passphrase not work

flip,

Just following up if raising the deauth the key to get a good handshake. I may have fallen the same boat as you are. I wanted to try it out myself but i left my dongle at home and won't be back for another week. Hi-5 to Batsley & Hypervista.

Brae