Thread: NOOB question - Open networks fail

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default NOOB question - Open networks fail

Hi everyone, fist post
    I first became interested in "offensive security" :P when I read that my card was one of the few supporting injection (rt2561, driver rt61pci Ubuntu Karmic on a desktop). I got a friend's permission to hack her network. Everything went fine, I did it in 7 mins WEP, and connected to her network - all done there - success! But now, all other open networks that are in range that I used to connect to will not transfer data! I can connect via wireless and the signal is strong, but my homepage google will not load, it's stuck at "connecting to www.google.com". I open a terminal and use the PING command, result "unknown host www.google.com". However ifconfig and iwconfig both show a strong connection - that happens not to transfer any data!
    I didn't use Backtrack for this, but rather each tool individualy. And I'm not going to keep using my friend's network, so can someone help? What is stopping open networks from communicating?

Default Re: NOOB question - Open networks fail

Quote Originally Posted by ethermine
    I got a friend's permission to hack her network.
    hmmmmm.....
    Quote Originally Posted by ethermine
    But now, all other open networks that are in range that I used to connect to will not transfer data!
    Karma is a wonderful thing .... <grin>

Check your DHCP and DNS settings.....

Very good friend of the forum TAPE's Avatar

But now, all other open networks that are in range that I used to connect to will not transfer data! I can connect via wireless and the signal is strong, but my homepage google will not load, it's stuck at "connecting to www.google.com". I open a terminal and use the PING command, result "unknown host www.google.com". However ifconfig and iwconfig both show a strong connection - that happens not to transfer any data!
    aahhh.... thanks for playing..

Developer

Stealing WiFi is not something we support on this forum, nor do we support "hacking" your friend, neighbor or grandma or whatever (permission or not). It sounds to me like you need to do two things.
    1. Pay for your own Internet
    2. Use Windows

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    Stealing WiFi is not something we support on this forum, nor do we support "hacking" your friend, neighbor or grandma or whatever (permission or not). It sounds to me like you need to do two things.
    1. Pay for your own Internet
    2. Use Windows
    My apologies for not being more verbose. I do pay for my own internet (though not directly, I am in a gated community that provides Free internet for all of its residents. This internet is available on an open network, which is the one I was referring to.) Ergo, I do not steal Wifi, and I understand that that would not be supported around. But your second point baffles me, why should I switch to windows?

Quote Originally Posted by hypervista
    Karma is a wonderful thing .... <grin>

Check your DHCP and DNS settings.....
    I am a newb, that's why I posted here. What part of those setting do I check/modify?

Quote Originally Posted by ethermine View Post
    I am a newb, that's why I posted here. What part of those setting do I check/modify?
    I think you need to do some reading on TCP/IP. You wont be able to use BackTrack effectively unless you understand this type of stuff. TCP/IP Illustrated or the Cisco CCNA Study Guide are my recommended TCP/IP references.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    I think you need to do some reading on TCP/IP. You wont be able to use BackTrack effectively unless you understand this type of stuff. TCP/IP Illustrated or the Cisco CCNA Study Guide are my recommended TCP/IP references.
    Thanks, I was going to look to a book as my next step, though I'll probably just wipe my system and start over with windows :P
    Done here.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ethermine View Post
    Thanks, I was going to look to a book as my next step, though I'll probably just wipe my system and start over with windows :P
    Done here.

Your choice, you clicked on " I agree to the rules".