Thread: Cannot capture handshake from deauth of windows 7 machine

Default Cannot capture handshake from deauth of windows 7 machine

post 1:

I have two laptops connected to my AP that I'm trying to capture handshakes from. One running Windows 7, the other running windows xp. Using a third laptop I'm running BT4. When I deauth the xp machine, I immediately get the handshake. I cannot get a handshake with the windows 7 machine. When I look at the cap in wireshark, it shows that I'm not getting the 2 client side parts of the handshake, but I am getting the AP's 2 parts. I spent a few hours searching this forum and remote-exploit forums to no avail. I have also tried to run airmon-ng with the channel specified, no good. Any thoughts?

post 2:

The fourth hour of searching may have yielded a solution. I found some info on how aircrack needs a patch to recognize a client's mac if the first octet isn't 00. My target windows 7 machine's mac has the first octet of 90. I'm going to try to update aircrack-ng and see what happens. In the meantime, has anyone else resolved this problem in this manner?

I updated aircrack, still no go. I spoofed the mac of the windows 7 machine in BT, and when I deauth that device, I get an immediate handshake. I'm thinking the only possibility is that the windows 7 machine is the issue. I can't find anything on issues with deauthing a windows 7 or vista machine. Any input would be appreciated.

post 3:

Anything? Anyone? If no one has a solution, has anyone at least run into this?
    Last edited by LMNOParis; 04-03-2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: my hand was forced

Default Re: Cannot capture handshake from deauth of windows 7 machine

To me, it could be a driver issue in Vista. My google searching returned a couple things, related to drivers and whatnot...

hxxp://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/09/15/intel-pro-wireless-3945abg-wifi-radio-adapter-shut-off-randomly/comment-page-1/

hxxp://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=507

Best of luck. Try it out and report back here.
    You. Are. Doing. It. Wrong.
    -Gitsnik

Default Re: Cannot capture handshake from deauth of windows 7 machine

Just tired it with my hp. Works as advertised. Hp is running Win7 Ultimate 32bit. Deauthing machine had 2 atheros based cards in it. What wireless adapter starts with 90??

Quote Originally Posted by kidFromBigD View Post
    To me, it could be a driver issue in Vista. My google searching returned a couple things, related to drivers and whatnot...

hxxp://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/09/15/intel-pro-wireless-3945abg-wifi-radio-adapter-shut-off-randomly/comment-page-1/

hxxp://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=507

Best of luck. Try it out and report back here.
    I've only really started prodding at the win 7 machine, but the symptons in the first link look like it might be it. However, even on a fresh connect or startup with the win 7 machine there's still no handshake. I didn't think to look for anything along these lines since there's no issue on the win 7 machine until I deauth it, so thanks for the ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Just tired it with my hp. Works as advertised. Hp is running Win7 Ultimate 32bit. Deauthing machine had 2 atheros based cards in it. What wireless adapter starts with 90??

Thanks for the responses, at least I know now that Windows 7 machines can be deauth-ed.

Edit:
    The windows 7 machine has an Atheros AR9285. This is driving me batty.
    Last edited by LMNOParis; 04-03-2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: my hand was forced