Thread: permission denied-help plz

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default permission denied-help plz

hey guys, last night i tried to to try chntpw in backtrack 4 pre final when i wanna do the following step i must first mount my drive so i did so but it say to me permission denied.i also tryed to go to start>start menue>then to storge media then i reload it then i can see my partions ,i tryed to enter were windows is installed and a box poped up and telled me an error and told me to try command to mount it.i type it it's code:mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1.............(i don't remmber all the command) and then it's says permission denied....i also entered the command code : df
    it shows the drive and mounted on what i saw my windows partion and mounted in /media/sda1
    i tryed to do the chntpw -i ...........................the mounted drive and were is the SAM file located it also says permission denied
    i locked users in both f8 safe mode (adminstrator) and my other user i wanna rest them using this tool to see how it work help plz

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Only the root user can mount drives (unless the drive is listed in the fstab file and has the "user" flag).

So switch to root before mounting.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Just burned his ISO

Default re:Virchanza

thx for replay Virchanza.but when i boot it up i just type startx and i enter to the desktop it should login as root or there other way to do that? if yes how plz be patinet with me cuz i'm biggner i always read fourms and google as matter of fact my grades in school got down because of setting all time and read fourms but i did not find all my needed subjects.i have hundred of questions but one by one ! so plz if you have info wich is useful tell me plz

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

When you're at a terminal, logged in as a normal user, type the following:

Code:
    sudo -s
    This will give you access as the root user. From there, just do whatever you want to do:

Code:
    cd /mnt
    mkdir win
    mount /dev/sda1 win
    cd win
    ls
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Just burned his ISO

Default re:Virchanza

thanks man for this info i will try them and let you know what happened or if anything goes wrong