Thread: Im new to all this and I am having an issue

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy Im new to all this and I am having an issue

I am new to Back Track and everything related.
    Ok where to start...
    I have windows 7. I downloaded BT4 iso. I ran unetbootin and set it up on my hd(cdrive). I got on to the bt desktop and tried to run the install.sh it tried to install it onto my jump drive. I ended it and removed the jump drive. I tried again and when I got to the part where I should be able to set the partition it took me a page called partition prep. It wouldn't let me do anything. Every program was disabled and there were no partitions listed. I tried to make a new partition and it wouldn't read the partition either.

Someone please help me. I was really excited to run a dual boot and would love to know how to fix this error. Im reallllly lost as to what to do so anything would be nice.

Just burned his ISO

try to fix your usb if problem usb. with gparted in bt. or search for GParted LiveCD, remove all partitions on USB if any, create new partition table and partition. im not sure but i do think debian/ubuntu based distros doesnt support fat32 so install dosfstools for fat32 support in backtrack. i dont know if gparted livecd has support, so google it.

hope this helps.

Default Persistant USB Install

Quote Originally Posted by JewSanta View Post
    I have windows 7. I downloaded BT4 iso. I ran unetbootin and set it up on my hd(cdrive). I got on to the bt desktop and tried to run the install.sh it tried to install it onto my jump drive. I ended it and removed the jump drive. I tried again and when I got to the part where I should be able to set the partition it took me a page called partition prep. It wouldn't let me do anything. Every program was disabled and there were no partitions listed. I tried to make a new partition and it wouldn't read the partition either.
    I found a thread that would help you make a "persistent USB install" with backtrack. Check out h ttp://forums.remote-exploit.org/bt4beta-howtos/20279-how-usb-backtrack-4-changes.html <-- It won't let me post links until I have 15 posts, so just remove the space between the H and the T.

(if someone wants to post the link(s) for me from that thread it would be appreciated)

(Thanks Richard and Archangel)
    Common Knowledge: Username, "root". Password, "toor". "startx" gives you a GUI, and "fix-vesa" will fix BT if you have no GUI. Start networking with "/etc/init.d/networking start" and check your IP settings with "ifconfig -a". "dhclient" will automatically use DHCP for your IP. Google is your friend.

If I'm reading your post correctly you want a persistent install on a USB, Check out forums.remote-exploit.org/newbie-area/31251-installing-bt4-usb.html and go down a little bit and people are talking about how to do a persistent install.

Hope this helps.
    Common Knowledge: Username, "root". Password, "toor". "startx" gives you a GUI, and "fix-vesa" will fix BT if you have no GUI. Start networking with "/etc/init.d/networking start" and check your IP settings with "ifconfig -a". "dhclient" will automatically use DHCP for your IP. Google is your friend.