Thread: No Wireless Signal Strength while running Backtrack 4 inside Vmware-Please Help Me

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default No Wireless Signal Strength while running Backtrack 4 inside Vmware-Please Help Me

Hi everyone, I am going to try to make this as simple as possible an I would appreciate if you could make your answers as simple as possible as well being I am a newbie.

I am also including a series of screen shots so you can get a better understanding of what I am getting at.

Here is my situation, I trying to get into my router using Backtrack 4 powered by ( Virtual Machine ) Vmware Workstation, but I seem to have a serious problem acquiring PWR ( wireless signals ) when using the airodump-ng tool when it's sniffing for wireless networks.

Here is a screen shot below, my two wireless routers as listed in pic below as scrambler which I set to OPEN an Outlaws which I have WEP password encrypted.

1 )

Problem is, when I airodump-ng is scanning for available wireless networks in my area I cannot seem to get any PWR ( wireless signal frames where as my BEACON frames are always excellent for both routers, matter of fact I do not get an PWR frames from any wireless routers in my area?

Here is a couple of screen shots of both my routers signal strength an as you can see both as excellent ( scrambler on the Left, Outlaws on the Right )

2 ) 3 )

Please note that the wireless router named scrambler is located in my bedroom ( which is the P.C. I am working on as we speak ) an my WEP encrypted router ( Outlaws ) that I am trying to get into is located in my den upstairs.

But still, even thou both routers are located inside of my household I cannot get any PWR frames ( signal strength ) it just stays at zero, actually all wireless routers in my area stay at zero, don't know why I am not getting any signals while using Backtrack 4 in Vmware Workstation, from screen shots 2 & 3 above you can see for yourself that I am getting magnificent signal strengths from both routers.

I have even moved my Desktop P.C. upstairs into my den with my WEP encrypted ( Outlaws ) to try to capture a wireless signal in Backtrack 4 via Vmware, but still, no success when running airodump-ng cmd.

Currently I am using a Hawking High Wireless G- USB Adapter Dish to obtain wireless signals from both of my routers, here is a pic below of my hardware.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: No Wireless Signal Strength while running Backtrack 4 inside Vmware-Please Help M

here is a pic below of my hardware I am using.

5 )

Anyway, I have proceeded to try to capture IV's ( DATA packets ) despite have no PWR frames at all, it was suggested that I let my DATA reach 20000 which was said to be the ideal DATA package rate for capturing your WEP pass key, but I still am not getting success when running airecrack-ng so I proceeded to continue airodump-ng until it reached twice the required 20000 amount 40000 an still no success when running airecrack-ng

Here is a screen shot below of airodump-ng cmd at 40000

6 )

Please note form the screen shot above that it takes me 5 hr 15 min to acquire 20000 IV's an it takes me 10 hr 30 mins to acquire 40000 IV's which I fell is way to long?

A friend of mines has suggested that I let the DATA packets reach 100,0000 before trying to crack my WEP router with airecrack-ng but I have not done that yet, for it would take over 24 hrs to reach 100,000 IV,s

Here is a screen shot below of my airecrack-ng cmd when IV's reach 40000

7 )

One last thing I would like to mention, after running 40000 IV's via airodump-ng an selecting the aireplay-ng cmd when choosing to do a Active Attack, when I typed the dir cmd I noticed that I do not have that that many wep-01.cap listings where I would assume my WEP key would be stored, I have seen others who have gotten too as many as wep-02.cap or maybe wep-03.cap which I assume that's why they have a success at cracking their routers?

Maybe some of you guys can shed some light on this for me?

Default Re: No Wireless Signal Strength while running Backtrack 4 inside Vmware-Please Help M

Did you use aireplay-ng at all in your procedure? Also, did you test the adapter to see if it can inject? aireplay-ng -9 wlan0. The fast that the power does not show may be a good indicator of some driver/device functionality. Have you tried a different adapter?

Or, you can just use 'wepbuster' and be done with it.
    "Failing to plan is planning to fail"

Just burned his ISO

creepykrawler;8875]Did you use aireplay-ng at all in your procedure? Also, did you test the adapter to see if it can inject? aireplay-ng -9 wlan0. The fast that the power does not show may be a good indicator of some driver/device functionality. Have you tried a different adapter?
    Yes I did use aireplay-ng on some occasions, but still ( unable to capture PWR frames, unable to acquire the WEP key ) the same results.

I did not test any other wireless devices because this is the only one I own

As far as drivers for this device that I am using, I tried to search for a update for it but can't seem to find it anywhere not even on thier web site.

I might just think of checking into getting a different wireless USB plug-in device but am unsure as to what to get, I heard of mentionings of NetGear Wireless Adapters, but just don't want to jump into buying somthing if it does not work right?

Plus I assumed if my wireless adapter is being detected in backtrack via the vmware virtual machine then it is a compatible device?

Is there a thread listing on the forum of USB devices that I can look through that can give me a idea to maybe purchase in the future?

I am desperate right now I am considering using a different backtrack an see if that works, maybe backtrack 3?

Or, you can just use 'wepbuster' and be done with it.
    I have never heard of "wepbuster" do you think you can give ,e some more details on this product or method, what ever it is?

Might there be a way to acquire the same cracking tools ( airmon-ng, airodump-ng, etc...... ) an use them in windows rather than in backtrack inside the virtual machine?

Thanx very much for your reply

"Failing to plan is planning to fail"