Thread: BT4 Wireless problem

Default BT4 Wireless problem

Ok I loaded BT4 on VirtualBOX it doesn't recognise my wireless card in "lspci" but when I type "dhclient eth0" it works, internet works, the only thing is BT sees it as a wired network and not a wireless network but that's not the problem, when I restart and boot with the CD before installing it it sees my wireless card in "lspci" but dhclient woun't work, nothing woun't work
    when I type : /etc/init.d/networking start it saies "Failed to bring up wlan0"
    and if I type dhclient wlan0 it just stays and sais "DHCLIENT on wlan0 from 255.255.255.255 interval XX"
    A little help here ?

Just burned his ISO

Default .

Same problem here, I've got a Realtek RTL8187SE adapter..

I'll give the best answer I've found so far, even though I haven't tried it out yet.. If anyone knows better, let me know.

"If your interface doesn't appear or ensure it is connected to your VM through the removable devices, if not, try to connect it via live cd (by burning the ISO to a cd and booting from that). Finally, check that your adapter is even compatible through google."

Although I didn't find a list that even included my adapter on google, I'm going to try partitioning my external hd in a few weeks to see if that solves the problem.

Also, if all else fails, find an adapter that you know is compatible for sure that is available as USB plugin and try again.

Just burned his ISO

Hi,

When you use virtualbox or vmware, (internal) wireless card cannot be used.

You need a usb wifi device or to install BT on your hard drive!!!

Evok

Just burned his ISO

Im sure many people know this, but just incase.

I fixed this by installed Backtrack 4 Final on a USB drive. restarting and then booting from the USB. This way it runs natively.

Quote Originally Posted by evok1 View Post
    Hi,

When you use virtualbox or vmware, (internal) wireless card cannot be used.

You need a usb wifi device or to install BT on your hard drive!!!

Evok
    Im seeing lots of post on this comment but on my vista 64 bit on bt4 my wifi works also my ethernet cable works on my vm with bt4

@OP:

BackTrack 4 Howto Tutorials and Howtos about BackTrack 4 (NOT for requesting tutorials or how to do anything)

Just burned his ISO

hi, i am new at using linux.

i downloaded WMware workstation 7.0.0.build-203739 and downloaded BackTrack v4. Final and burned the image file on a dvd. Now, every time i instal backtrack i chose BackTrack 800x600 and every time i am waiting to enter root and toor i just get root@bt, and when typing /etc/init.d/networking start it only says Failed to bring up wlan0.

i puted the Network adapter on virtual machine settings on Bridge ( like i saw on a youtube video) and on edit - virtual network editor i puted this:

pokit.etf.ba/upload/pokit654516d1b4df6917094de807156adc14.png

pelase help me.