Thread: Can somene teach me how to use BT and Vmare

Just burned his ISO

Default Can somene teach me how to use BT and Vmare

hey guys
    i am using backtrack version 4 final vmware on vmware workstation version 7 and i have advanced a big problem which is i cant connect to the network i got my vmware network setting set to bridged but when i run iwconfig lo=found nothing eth0=found nothing i dont have a wireless adapter i just use cat5 wire to connect to the internet on my pc so how can i get the network working on the vmware backtrack?? help
    and this is hella bad cuz i guess the purpose i need backtrack is just for monitorin network which have network as num 1 essential thing to get my things done.
    so help me
    ive tried to search for this on google but found none all i found was about usb wireless, wireless networks so i cant get my backtrack network working
    ty ppl

MOD EDIT: Thread title changed to follow the rules.

Try typing
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/networking start
    then do a
    Code:
    dhcpcd eth0
    and see if anything happens.

Just burned his ISO

Wink vmware help

Yea i went through that too buddy. Try doing the custom install rather than the normal one you will have new options hope this helps. it worked for me

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Try typing
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/networking start
    then do a
    Code:
    dhcpcd eth0
    and see if anything happens.
    Any idea how to activate wlan0? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by thedp View Post
    Any idea how to activate wlan0? Thanks.
    Do you have a USB wireless adaptor?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    No I don't. If I had one it would have solved my issue. I'm looking for a possibility to use my built-in wifi card as wlan0 instead of eth0 as the VMware makes it appear.

Quote Originally Posted by thedp View Post
    No I don't. If I had one it would have solved my issue. I'm looking for a possibility to use my built-in wifi card as wlan0 instead of eth0 as the VMware makes it appear.
    There is a reason why we have that sticky thread I linked you to. It's because we believe that with the currently available virtualisation software, it's impossible to use non-USB wireless cards in virtual machines, and we want people to stop asking about it. I would have thought that the thread I linked to would have made this quite clear, because that is essentially what it said.

So given this, Im not going to be able to tell you how you can use your inbuilt wireless card in a virtual machine, and if you want to proceed in trying to achieve this impossible goal, you will have to do it on your own.

Best of luck.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.