Thread: Windows Password - VM Workstation .

Just burned his ISO

Default Windows Password - VM Workstation .

Hi !

I've got a Little Question guys .
    I've installed my Backtrack 4 on VM Workstation , works perfect so far !
    No I wanted to crack my password, of my windows account with Chntpw .

But i've got a little problem .

I need to go to the 'disk' where my windows is on , like hda1 , or sda1 ,..
    But like I said i've installed Backtrack on VM Workstation , and when I go into a terminal , en do Cfdisk , to see my drives (Right?) I only see the 'Virtual' drives , so not the drive Windows is on.

So my question , Is it possible to crack the windows password, with Backtrack on VM Workstation ? Or do I need to run the live CD ?

Thx!

Just burned his ISO

You could create another VM machine (Windows based) place it on a virtual network and connect your BT4 VM to the same virtual network. That way you can experiment without involving your host machine - its the that way I do it.

Quote Originally Posted by GwWoYA View Post
    Hi !

I've got a Little Question guys .
    I've installed my Backtrack 4 on VM Workstation , works perfect so far !
    No I wanted to crack my password, of my windows account with Chntpw .

But i've got a little problem .

I need to go to the 'disk' where my windows is on , like hda1 , or sda1 ,..
    But like I said i've installed Backtrack on VM Workstation , and when I go into a terminal , en do Cfdisk , to see my drives (Right?) I only see the 'Virtual' drives , so not the drive Windows is on.

So my question , Is it possible to crack the windows password, with Backtrack on VM Workstation ? Or do I need to run the live CD ?

Thx!
    As you mentioned, BackTrack needs to see a partition holding a Windows volume in order to access the password data on that partition using Chntpw. So running BackTrack in a VM will only allow you to access Windows partitions accessible to that VM (such as a Windows installation done inside the VM), but it does NOT allow you to access the host systems volumes. If you want to access the password information of a Windows install on a physical host, then the most straightforward method is to boot that physical host into BackTrack.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Thx guy's !

I've installed Windows on a Virtual machine , and after that , on the same virtual disk , i've installed Backtrack .

Like a dual boot on a virtual machine . works perfect !

Thx!!