Thread: Setup Captive Portal

Just burned his ISO

Default Setup Captive Portal

Hi

just a quick post to see if anybody knows anything about captive portals. Basically a good friend of mind has a partnership share in a public house which offers accommodation and good food to guests. He has approached me because he wants to offer wifi to his guests. His idea is to offer "Almost Free" wifi. When i say almost free i mean the guest will purchase a drink such as a coffee or beer or meal and they will be given free access to the pub's wifi. Now he has asked me to set this up but to be honest i dont really know what i'm doing as was wondering if anybody can point me towards a simple but secure solution.

He has approached a company called The Cloud.........(xxx.thecloud.net/About-us)

......who has offered to set up a captive portal on his behalf and manage it but he has asked me to see if i can come up with a solution thats possibly cheaper for him.

Therefore, i just need some guidance as to how to go about setting this up.

Is it a case of find some captive portal software, download it, install it onto a pc etc etc and off we go ? If so will it work with say a wireless netgear router ? If not will a specific router such as a Linksys WRT54G with OpenWRT firmware do the job ?

Or is it a bit more complicated than that. I have done some searching but its all a bit confusing to be honest. Does anybody knbow of a good simple secure solution. I did find something called PFSence and IPCop (all advice is greatly appreciated)

Apologies if i've posted in the wrong forum or if i'm being a bit of a plonka rodney.

Hi its do-able with backtrack with a little searching and glueing the info together, but zeroshell.net or pfsense.org has what you want I think.

Just burned his ISO

Many Thanks Pingu

Ill Check out PFSense..