Thread: how to enable telnet login?

Hybrid View

Default how to enable telnet login?

How can I enable telnet login on Backtrack 3? (I can't get ssh login working through a reverse ssh tunnel)

Start the telnet service? That usually does the trick....

What sort of problems are you having with SSH? Reverse SSH is fairly simple to do.

How do I start the telnet service on backtrack 3? There isn't an /etc/inetd.conf

Since you asked, basically this is what I can't get working:

From home, I want to log into my work computer which is behind a firewall. So on my work computer, I log into my home computer like so:
    Code:
     ssh -R 7071:127.0.0.1:22 -p 22 user@home_ip_address
    That should make my home computer listen on port 7071. So from home I should be able to log into the work computer like this:
    Code:
    ssh localhost -p 7071
    Unfortunately (unless there is some workaround I'm not aware of) ssh through a reverse ssh tunnel gives the following error
    Code:
    ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host
    I think it has to do with ssh conflicting with the already existing ssh connection. But I was able to log into the work computer if I run the telnet daemon on it.

Well I found out that I can invoke the telnet daemon by having a shell script manually start in.telnetd in an endless loop... but that will only allow for a single telnet login at a time. Apparently inetd is not installed in backtrack 3.