Thread: Remove Backtrack From Dual Boot w/ Vista

Just burned his ISO

Default Remove Backtrack From Dual Boot w/ Vista

Hello All,

I have an HP machine with a Dual Boot of Vista and BT4PF. I want to upgrade to BT4F, though. I'll probably install it in a virtual machine or on a USB drive...

Anyway, I am worried about ruining my windows partition. I have read posts online about formatting from the Windows OS and then changing the boot.ini file. WELL... That is all fine and dandy, and I will do that but I wanted to check with you all here to see if there are any suggestions or words of wisdom. Maybe I should go about this differently?

Also, random question: If I were to install the BT4F version on VirtualBox, could I save files and settings (persistent?) and still shutdown... without using this "snapshot" technique?

Thanks fellas

Quote Originally Posted by bt4pf355 View Post
    Hello All,

I have an HP machine with a Dual Boot of Vista and BT4PF. I want to upgrade to BT4F, though. I'll probably install it in a virtual machine or on a USB drive...

Anyway, I am worried about ruining my windows partition. I have read posts online about formatting from the Windows OS and then changing the boot.ini file. WELL... That is all fine and dandy, and I will do that but I wanted to check with you all here to see if there are any suggestions or words of wisdom. Maybe I should go about this differently?
    I think you're making this more complicated than it needs to be. Just install over the top of the existing BackTrack install...

Future questions regarding BT4 Final should go to the new forums.

Also, random question: If I were to install the BT4F version on VirtualBox, could I save files and settings (persistent?) and still shutdown... without using this "snapshot" technique?
    Yes, just install in the VM as you would on a normal physical machine.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    I think you're making this more complicated than it needs to be. Just install over the top of the existing BackTrack install...
    I don't think you understand, fully. I am not wanting to completely reinstall vista. I want to simply remove BT.

I don't think you understand, fully. I am not wanting to completely reinstall vista. I want to simply remove BT.
    I meant install BackTrack 4 Final over the top of the existing BT4 PreFinal install. That was why you wanted to remove BT PreFinal right? To install the new version of BT in its place? Well if thats the case then you dont need to remove BT at all, just install over it.

If you do actually want to remove it, so you can perhaps use the storage space for your Vista system, just boot to a Linux ISO and delete the partitions used by BT4 Prefinal.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks, I like that idea more than trying to use Vista to delete it. I plan on installing BT4F to a virtual machine so it can take up less space. I don't like both OS' suffering because of a dual boot situation.

Thanks for your help