Thread: Help needed AWUS036H not catching WPA Handshake

Just burned his ISO

Default Help needed AWUS036H not catching WPA Handshake

Hi there people,

I'm a newbie to the forums (fantastic forum by the way) and I'm having trouble with the ALFA AWUS036H 1000mw version (RTL8187L) picking up the WPA 4 way handshake. I've trawled the forum and google to no avail.

I've done the usual:

Airmon-ng start wlan0
    Airodump start mon0

Select another computer on my home network and Deauth. I can see the Deauth'ing taking place in Airodump on the selected target and also succesfully running in Aireplay. I have also run the test in Aireplay just to make double sure (Injection Working).

I'm at a dead end on this and don't know if I've missed something really trivial or this is bigger problem - I've seen alot of posts mentioning trouble picking up the 4 way handshake and I just can't seem to get it working.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated

Just burned his ISO imported_BeNeDeLuX's Avatar

Why don´t you use the Gerix-Wifi-Cracker-NG ?
    It is much easier than the air-tools itself.

Maybe you are to far away from the client ?
    Sure the deauth ACK´s on Client and AP ?
    AirCrack Wiki --> h**p:/aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=deauthentication

I´m running also the ALFA AWUS036H 1000mw and everything works as it should.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the heads up.

Tried Gerix-Wifi-Cracker-NG and I was still unable to pick up the 4 way handshake (I'm in the same room as the computer and AP).

I have to admit that I'm really stuck on this one, I was going to try BT4 pre to see if I'm able to pick up the handshake there (hopefully narrowing it down to drivers?)

Using gerix or aircrack-ng from the cmd line makes no difference here (I always use aircrack-ng directly, but that is just a matter opinion). Have you read the wpa_cracking guide? There is a whole section labeled "I can't get the handshake!"

cracking_wpa [Aircrack-ng]

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the advice MikeC.

I went through it again just to double check and I'm still having problems.

I ran the capture file through Wireshark and I'm picking up one half of the handshake from AP to Client but not Client to AP (I'm 7 foot away from the AP & computer I'm deauthing).

I was wondering if the sens setting maybe be a possible culprit?

Just burned his ISO

After wrestling with this one for quite sometime I came across this post:

h**p://forum.aircrack-ng.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=131261fd29356ac1533626c07f2d3f 2c&action=printpage;topic=6595.0

Apparently its a bug in the Aircrack code but I'm still unsure as to why its seems to work for some people with the exact same adapter and not for others

Just burned his ISO

Success!!!

I have finally cracked it (in more than one sense of the word).

For whatever reason when I start Airodump-ng collecting packets I have to then press the up arrow key on my computer (do not know why) which then displays a Hex / Decimal display readout to the right hand side at the top (where the WPA handshake confirmation appears) - once I do this I can pick up the 4 way handshake