Thread: Installing BT4 on USB?

Just burned his ISO

Default Installing BT4 on USB?

Hey guys,

I'm pretty lost guys.I need your help . Right now i have to USBs,one 8 GB the other is 2 GB.I downloaded BT4 final and booted it by unetbootin in the 8 GB flash desk.Then i get this screen with a list (i'm not allowed to post a screen shot):
    1- start backtrack Framebuffer (1024x768)
    2- start backtrack framebuffer (800x600)
    3- ..............
    4- .................
    5- start persistent live CD
    6- ..........
    7- .........
    8- memory test
    9- boot the first hard disk

I didn't know what to choose.so i waited for it to load by itself and it did.Then i got this screen where i have to put this command : startx

After that i didn't know what to do?Partitions and stuff...sorry guys,but any ideas?

Note: about the USBs which one should format to FAT32 (where i put the bt4 ISO in it) and which one should i format to ex2 (where i can save my changes)?And is there anyway to use only the 8GB USB for booting and saving changes?

Edit: When i try to install BT4 either with install.sh or with the command line....It skips the step where you have to choose a new user and a password !! it skips from step 4 to skip 7!!...what can i do?
    thanks and sorry for troubling you with me.

regards,

The first two are to start backtrack with framebuffer modes (rendering to console, refer to google) with specific resolutions. Some monitors can take 1024x768 but for backwards compatibility, there's 800x600.

Those first two options are the ones you should be concerned about.

If you're going to run it off via unetbootin, you are stuck with only one partition for hosting BT4 image. That doesn't mean you can't create another partition on the USB stick, but you can't simply move the BT4 image around and expect it to work. Other than that I don't know what are you trying to get at with saying about partiitons.

There are guides and howtos on creating a persistant BT4 setup on USB sticks. I suggest you check out the BackTrack 4 Howto section.

Just burned his ISO

Do i only need one usb to use?or should i use two usbs?I have two usbs 8 GB and 2 Gb...

If you want to run BT4 in live mode (no save changes, like a livecd) you only need the 2GB usb stick.

If you want to run BT4 from a usb stick with persistent changes you need the 8GB one. and you must make at least 2 partitions in it: one of 4GB Fat32 where you have to copy the BT4 files to boot and another one of 4GB ext3 with the label casper-rw

You can read more about it in the Howto Section

HowTo

You must read this one: Install BackTrack Persistent to USB

http://www.infosecramblings.com/back...changesnessus/
    Google is your best friend :D

Just burned his ISO

Yea what they say is right if you're running it live all you need is the 2gb, but just wondering why don't you just install it on your computer since you want to save changes?