Thread: wifi led for acer aspire one zg5

Just burned his ISO

Default wifi led for acer aspire one zg5

anyone know how to get the wifi led working with BT4 Final? everything else works great.

card is Atheros AR5001 if that matters, though i suspect it does not.

thanks for the help

Just burned his ISO

Hi, I am pretty newbie, I did install the BT4 on my usb, boot it and everything worked flawlessy, the WiFi led turn orange only when is connected to the AP leaving a steady light...no matter if data transfer or not.
    Anyway...I love this distro...very handy on a netbook.

wifi led is not a big deal if the wifi card is working. Yes its somewhat related to the driver in question but moreso how its handled by another module known as led_class. All these require some linux hacking skills (no, not wireless) to make it work. I'm sure you wouldn't want to bother with that, and if not, don't worry so much about LED.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by hatake_kakashi View Post
    wifi led is not a big deal if the wifi card is working. Yes its somewhat related to the driver in question but moreso how its handled by another module known as led_class. All these require some linux hacking skills (no, not wireless) to make it work. I'm sure you wouldn't want to bother with that, and if not, don't worry so much about LED.
    as I am a Linux nerd (my irc name is LinuxBman), I am interested in getting this working.

I know in ubuntu there is the backports-jaunty package that will get it working, but since jaunty came out after intrepid (which BT4 is based on) I am not sure if it will be as easy as an apt-get to install it.

Don't let the 'just burned his ISO' under my name fool you. I have been using BT for some time now, and am quite familiar with it. I was just given the ZG5 a few days ago (supposedly it was broken, but 5 minutes with google changed that) and I wanted to use it as a hacktop. the LED is totally unnecessary, but it is supposed to light up, and since it doesn't, in my mind it is not working properly, and therefor I have to fix it. A little OCD on my part, perhaps, but it's not hurting anyone getting it going. And I love seeing it blink furiously as I test a local WAP anyway.

If you're not a beginner, then you should well know the challenges that lies ahead of you in which anything will break for using ubuntu backports. You do realise that bt4 is not simply kubuntu intrepid ibex with some fancy stuff here and there. It is actually quite different from the kernel version right down to the sources and patches applied to device drivers.

Other than that, you're mostly on your own to try and rectify the issue that annoys you. I personally don't have experience with it because I have never encountered this scenario and I personally do not see it as such a big fuss to worry over.