Thread: AWUS036H - Long distance networking

Question AWUS036H - Long distance networking

Hi all

My question is re: connecting to long distance network (getting internet connection) through BT4 beta on VMware.
    My Details:
    My usb wifi : Alfa AWUS036H
    Im using VMware workstation 7 with BT4 beta VM ware image. (gettin BT4 final shortly)
    My machine is a Dell 6100 laptop with internal Dell wireless 1370 mini pci card.

Ive read quite a few threads re: getting internet connection through VMware. Im able to connect to internet via my local modem by selecting 'bridged connection' on the VM settings for BT4 beta virtual machine.

After starting (start x) I use the following commands

ifconfig eth0 up
    dhclient eth0
    ...ping Google etc..

My Situation is:

My internal wireless card (1370 mini pci card) does not have good enough signal to bridge the connection of my target network for BT4 virtual machine.

So. my question is:

Would anyone be able to advise how I can aquire network connection without using my internal wireless as bridge through using VMware and BT4 beta image? eg. I have disabled my internal card and trying to connect to the AP target I have access on, that is within range using just my AWUS036H.

I have gone through various posts on connecting backtrack to internet/ connecting networks,,mostly they are relating to connecting via a bridge connection.

Would you be able to point me in the direction of any good tutorials or tips? Do I have to change the VM settings to NAT?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

There is not support for bt4 beta only the final.
    Also on the new site.
    BackTrack Linux
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    There is not support for bt4 beta only the final.
    Also on the new site.
    BackTrack Linux

hi there,

I downloaded the vmimage for the BT4 final and anticipating that I will have the same issue. (seems like a pretty generic thing) would you say so?