Your chipset maybe fully supported under backtrack and later linux kernels, however it may work slightly differently comparing to the owners of rtl8187l chipset. There are differences between these chipsets and the support status for rtl8187l has already matured.
It shouldn't take 25 seconds for airodump-ng to start up, there could be many issues for this but I personally do not own a wireless device with rtl8187b chipset. I think the problem may lie anything from USB speed support to host OS hardware configuration and guest OS hardware configuration. Instead of using airmon-ng, I'd try running airodump-ng on wlanX interface and see how long that may take.
There is an option in aireplay-ng to test injection, and those examples can vary depending on situation such as:
- clients associated to the APs or not
- signal strength between your wireless usb dongle and the actual AP
- any other interferences such as wireless phones, keyboards, mice that may use the same frequencies as the wireless network i.e. ones run on 2.4Ghz band.
From the output when you see:
Read 6200 packets (got 0 ARP requests and 345 ACKs), sent 0 packets..(0 pps)
It simply means that there's no client to sent ARP requests and therefore it won't send any packets because there's no ARP data to relay back.
When you use airmon-ng you see rtl8187, that is because its the name of the driver, read this:
rtl8187 - Linux Wireless
thank you Kakashi san can you tell me the difference between wlan0 and wlanX?
Also what did you mean by saying "Instead of using airmon-ng, I'd try running airodump-ng on wlanX interface and see how long that may take"?
You meant to not even type airmon-ng in the first place? Because i think that airmon-ng is the first command to type..(i am nooby i dont know)
Secondly something that i realized is that when Backtrack4 is loading the screen(because you said something about the configurations..) shows the following...> http ://i49.tinypic.com/3169qh4.jpg
What do you think, could this be the reason why the airodump-ng wlan0 takes sometimes so much time??
and lastly, do you know how to make the client appear on the network so that i will be in the sake to receive the packages?
Thanks for your time Hatake..
please if its possible for someone to reply because i have been searching the net but i dont know if i have to patch it in Backtrack 4 final..
the question is..
is the patch for Realtek RTL8187B concluded in Backtrack 4 FINAL??
because with Backtrack 3 it required some patching..
Because if my adapter is factional without any patching, then i am just making a mistake with the command or something like that!!
please someone reply..
wlanX is what I use for the word `foo'. Meaning you replace with the word `foo' or X in my case with the correct number/word to suit your scenario.
After setting the wlanX device into monitor mode, so instead of using airmon-ng, you set wlanX to monitor mode and then run airodump-ng on wlanX instead of monX.
SMBus issue is not really related to this issue.
Like I said, it could vary from anything to anything. Try also booting directly into bt4 rather than using it under vmware or any other virtualisation methods.
In bt4, the patch should already be applied but you should always test to see if the interface is actually capable of injecting (man aireplay-ng). In bt3 its very different because:
1) There's no actual support for this chipset afaik, there is support for RTL8187L (which is not the same chipset as RTl8187B despite sharing similar designs and model number, RTL8187B in theory should be better than RTL8187L but RTL8187L came out before RTL8187B and was more supported as a result).
2) BT4's kernel has a new framework known as mac80211 which supports softMAC devices like these better than the old ieee80211 framework. BT3 however does not have this functionality by default. The driver under BT4 for this chipset also supports RTL8187L and a few other different model variants. BT3 only had r8187 which was patched but only for RTL8187L chipsets.
thanks a lot kakashi i did managed to authenticate with my network..
i guess the fact that i have a 13 digits wep key is the reason why i cant get it to show me my password..
it might require not just 30 but 60 or 70.000 ..
sorry for troubling you, i will check everything in the upcoming days and i will inform you.
thanks again kakashi