Thread: Help with PCI6516 & 3COM 3CRSHPW196 card on Dell D610

Just burned his ISO

Default Help with PCI6516 & 3COM 3CRSHPW196 card on Dell D610

Hi all,

Firstly thanks for all the help you have given me as an unregistered user, I have learned so much these past few days! I would however point out I am a complete newbie and still have very much to learn so if anyone is kind enough to reply please use laymans terms where possible.

I have a Dell D610 with Backtrack 4 installed on the hard drive. There are no other OSs on the machine only BT4.

I have used the on board wireless card for connection to the internet however it does not support packet injection. I did crack my second home wireless WEP key using a second PC connected to generate much traffic and soon received sufficient data for the decryption. I was happ it worked and I must have done something right?

I carried out some research in this and other forums and have bought a 3COM 3CRSHPW196 PCI card which I believe supports injection?

My problem is when I plug it into the PCI slot on my machine the card lights up however I can not see it in shell? My understanding was 'it works straight from the box'?

I have the following information if it is of any help -

root@hacklap:~# lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/PM/GMS/910GML Express Proces
    sor to DRAM Controller (rev 03)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Exp
    ress Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Gr
    aphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Ex
    press Port 1 (rev 03)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) US
    B UHCI #1 (rev 03)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) US B UHCI #2 (rev 03)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) US B UHCI #3 (rev 03)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) US B UHCI #4 (rev 03)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) US B2 EHCI Controller (rev 03)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev d3)
    00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (IC H6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
    00:1e.3 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 03)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) SATA Controller (rev 0 3)
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethe rnet PCI Express (rev 01)
    03:01.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI6515 Cardbus Controller
    03:01.5 Communication controller: Texas Instruments PCI6515 SmartCard Controller
    03:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 [AirForce 54g] 802.11a/ b/g PCI Express Transceiver (rev 02)

more to follow......................

I believe the last line, i.e. (03:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 [AirForce 54g] 802.11a/ b/g PCI Express Transceiver (rev 02)) is your onboard wireless card? if so, that should be supported for injection and what not. I'd paste lspci -nnk just in case it might come under another ID.

Just saying 3COM 3CRSHPW196 doesn't really help when there's no lspci -nnk output of the device. 3COM could easily put any chipset in their wireless cards without putting a version number on the packaging box rendering it difficult for one to know which version is the card or better yet which chipset does it actually have. So again, pasting lspci -nnk with the card plugged in would be helpful.

Just burned his ISO

hatake_kakashi,

Firstly thanks for the reply. Secondly apologies as I had several more pieces of info to post however being a 'newbie' I couldn't do it!

I have actually returned the 3COM card for a refund as it turns out the one sent was not the one ordered hence my my issues.......

Very keen to see my on-board card supports injection though.

Here's my question-

As mentioned above I have successfully hacked my second WEP wireless router at home. In order to generate enough data I hooked up a second PC to it and downloaded some files. I soon had plenty of data for the crack. If I were unable to connect a second PC to the 'victim' it seems to take forever to generate data? I associate with the router and try to inject however it makes very little difference to the data transfer. Is it a requirement when collecting the data that the 'victim' is online and busy? My understanding was injecting would create this environment and therefore generate the required data? If so I guess my on-board card is not working correctly (or more likely I am not working properly!!!!)?

Could you suggest some simple card tests to validate injection capabilities please? Again if there is anything else I am falling short on please advise?

I would also like to purchase a good USB wireless card with decent transmission and reception signal strength. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Skiddy

1) `man aireplay-ng' is a good place for starters.
    2) Alfa AWUS036H