Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will the new AWUS036NH work with BT4 out of the Box?

Just burned his ISO

Default Will the new AWUS036NH work with BT4 out of the Box?

Hi, I am new to backtrack and the whole security scene altogether. The first thing I need is a usb network adapter that can do all i want; injection, monitoring, etc. After researching I came to the conclusion that the AWUS036H is considered the best out there. I was about to purchase it when i came across the brand new AWUS036NH which has support for 802.11n. Will the AWUS036NH do everything the AWUS036H and more, or will it just be a headache. I would very much like my wireless adapter to be future proof. Thank you -Alex

Moved to more appropriate forum. Careful where you post next time OP.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

It doesn't help when no chipset is specified, there are at least 5 different manufacturers out there that now currently produces 802.11n chipsets with at least 3 different model numbers for each of the 802.11n capable devices each of those manufacturers produce.

Not all of them are linux friendly neither do all of them will have proper monitoring and injection support out of the box. Maybe wait at least 3 months before asking such question again.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by hatake_kakashi View Post
    It doesn't help when no chipset is specified, there are at least 5 different manufacturers out there that now currently produces 802.11n chipsets with at least 3 different model numbers for each of the 802.11n capable devices each of those manufacturers produce.

Not all of them are linux friendly neither do all of them will have proper monitoring and injection support out of the box. Maybe wait at least 3 months before asking such question again.
    I've been searching for two days now looking for a card that is 802.11g/n capable that guarantees proper packet injection that will work out of the box with backtrack 4. You mention there are five manufacturers out there that produce 802.11n cards. Would you have a card in mind that you could recommend to me? I've looked at the linux wireless LAN supported chipset list found in the sticky in this forum but there's so many to chose from and a lot of them had bad reviews. It doesn't have to be super powerful or senstive like the AWUS036NH. I would just like it to be 802.11 g/n capable, support packet injection, usb or cardbus, and work with BT4 out of the box. Really, i'm just looking for an alternative to my Intel Wifi-Link 5100 AGN that doesn't support packet injection.

Chipset Ralink 3070 also known as RT 3070. Brand: Alfa Network sku AWUS036NH.
    Manufacturer's specification is 2000mW.
    The enemy is no longer ignorance - It is vigilance

Just burned his ISO

I've got the AWUS036NH and it doesn't work out of the box with BT4. I'm new to BT4 but have been using ubuntu for the passed year..ish.

AWUS036NH uses the Ralink RT3070 Chipset and i'm sure i read somewhere that it doesn't support packet injection.

Driver Updates on BT4 have been published for RT3070 which i have installed but when i run Airmon-ng its showing the wrong chipset and driver.

Interface Chipset Driver

ra0 Ralink 2560 PCI rt2500

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by bongfish View Post
    I've got the AWUS036NH and it doesn't work out of the box with BT4. I'm new to BT4 but have been using ubuntu for the passed year..ish.

AWUS036NH uses the Ralink RT3070 Chipset and i'm sure i read somewhere that it doesn't support packet injection.

Driver Updates on BT4 have been published for RT3070 which i have installed but when i run Airmon-ng its showing the wrong chipset and driver.

Interface Chipset Driver

ra0 Ralink 2560 PCI rt2500

Yep its Right Ralink 3070 Dosent Suppot Monitor Mode And Injection

As of writing the latest stable kernel build has that driver in staging. Meaning its only in its preliminary support status which will have bugs as such appearing. It may take a few more kernel releases before it gains maturity. This will mean at least 1-2 more months of waiting (or you can help the serialmonkey devs if you wish) before the driver may mature and lose its staging status.

Once its out of the staging status, you will need to upgrade to a vanilla kernel, which means it will be directly from The Linux Kernel Archives and there will be no support from backtrack in general because everyone else here currently is running 2.6.30.9 whilst you are trying to get 2.6.33 or 2.6.34 (once released as stable) working because of your new adapter. Have fun with that and trying to fix any breaks. It has happened before when people did tried upgrading their kernel on the forums just to realise some things are broken.

The contributing part to the serialmonkey devs or trying bleeding edge kernel builds (including compat-wireless and wireless-testing.git), including the ones not specifically included in bt4 are not for the faint at heart either. So be warned if you are too desperate to get your awus050nh or any other 802.11n usb devices to work. On the upside of all this is that these native albeit bleeding edge drivers may have injection and other varied support.

dutsnekcirf: The 6 chipset manufactuers are (I checked wireless-testing.git there is now marvell in the game):
    - Intel (and most of these should have injection support)
    - Atheros
    - Ralink
    - Realtek
    - Marvell
    - Broadcom

Speaking on non-usb support terms. Intel, Atheros, Ralink should have most native linux wireless driver support. Realtek is slowly catching up and so is Marvell. Broadcom does produce 802.11n wireless but is highly disfavoured mainly because their lack of linux support and deliberately removing rfmon support in their proprietary driver binary blob. Broadcom's linux support unlike the other 5 chipset manufactuers I've mentioned are by people whom reverse engineered broadcom's drivers, their work I definitely am very appreciative of but at the same time despising Broadcom for not showing any support till this day and still ongoing.

Intel and Atheros have employed linux developers to write drivers for their chipset so their drivers remain largely open source and are generally decent. Ralink supposedly has released technical specifications of how their chipsets work and the serialmonkey team writes drivers for ralink (don't think they are paid by Ralink). Ralink does release their own linux drivers but they provide source code for them.

I am not sure what is the go with Realtek, and I believe Marvell may have employed a linux dev to work on their chipsets

These 802.11n devices in general along with many other supported wireless chipsets constantly undergo modifications with the driver so at under any stage, no driver can be technically deemed as final build. This also means that:
    1) Features that were not incorporated initially may appear in the future.
    2) There will be bugs here and there in various fashions
    3) You will need to be ontop of the game to benefit from it.
    What I meant in point number 3 is by using later builds of kernel and/or compat-wireless and/or wireless-testing. Not all of them are guarenteed stability and perfect reliability but if you want a better build of the driver for a specific supported chipset you have now, it would be a wise idea to try newer builds and bleeding edge stuff.

802.11n USB devices are supported though there are much less devs working on them so if you can't wait, I suggest you to avoid the 802.11n USB path for the time being. As far as I know, Intel, Marvell and Broadcom does not produce 802.11n USB. Intel probably never will.

Last but not least I do believe there is injection support for your 5100 AGN chipset. You just need to read up on some forum posts on aircrack-ng for possible guides. I've seen 5100 AGN in action and injecting on a custom linux distro so I can't see why you can't get yours to work without trying.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the info/thoughts hatake_kakashi, I was wondering and thinking the same thing

Just burned his ISO

What I don't understand is how it can work in bt2, and bt3 but not bt4... I know there was a complete overhaul in that area from 3-4 when bt went from slax to deb/ubuntu, and I assume this plays a large role in why it wont work. Should I maintian any hope that this card (AWUSO36NH) will ever work correctly in bt4? I was one of the fools that said, "Power....g/N!! .... Getting it!" ......And foolish, foolish me, I saw that it said "backtrack" and was so excited that I completley missed the 2, and 3 part lol. I guess what I'm asking is should I cut my loses and try to dump this thing on ebay? Or just hold tight and hope for better days? Because I'd hate to get rid of it only to find out that a week later it's the best card you can have with the new sexy bt4! lol..... Thanx in adv. for all the input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast