Thread: RTL8180 and ALFA AWUS050NH on Backtrack 4 Final

Just burned his ISO

Default RTL8180 and ALFA AWUS050NH on Backtrack 4 Final

Hey,

I just downloaded Backtrack 4 final and made hdd install. I just completely trusted Backtrack team so i didnt try injection capabilities of my wifi cards (ALFA AWUS050NH and netbook's default rtl8180 chipset card). I managed to patch Alfa and work it under backtrack 4 prefinal. Rtl8180 could connect to internet and goes into monitor mode but couldn't search AP's (when execute airodump-ng it searches but finds nothing) on both final and prefinal.On final, Backtrack sees this card as "rtl8180/rtl8185" chipset and "r8180" driver (with airmon-ng command). Apart from that, under final, Alfa couldn't be detected by backtrack at all ( airmon-ng shows nothing, but iwconfig shows just a "ra0" interface). I searched the google but i couldn't find anything since its a new operating system. My questions are :
    1- How could we get Alfa working? I suppose this is a patch issue.
    2- I heard rtl8180 chipsets could be patched. So i tried aircrack's R8180-sa2400 patch (aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=r8180-sa2400) but i couldn't even remove r8180 module (error : module doesn't exist in proc/modules). What's the problem. Should i try rtl8185 drivers?

Footnote: Under prefinal, Alfa could be seen as rtl2500 chipset, but under final, it couldn't be seen at all. How could this happen? isn't Backtrack Final a newer OS?

1) You will most likely need to do the same sort of patching for awus050nh as I presume there's no rt2870usb driver available for that kernel.

2) The patch that you applied doesn't apply to the driver in question. rtl8180 I presume would already be using mac80211 based framework. Whilst the r8180 depends on the deprecated ieee80211 framework (and most likely a custom one).

It would help if you could provide information about your rtl8180 chipset, such as a lspci -nnk output and maybe a complete dmesg dump.

Footnote: There is a mistake with the detection mechanism, I personally have not tried final yet but I'm presuming airmon-ng under final (which is actually part of aircrack-ng suite) is updated. rt2500 is a series of chipsets developed by ralink which aren't 802.11n capable. Your awus050nh would be at minimum rt2870 based which are 802.11n capable.

Just burned his ISO

Hello,

Sorry about for this late answer. I was trying to get this both cards working under same OS. I did troubleshoot all of my problems that i encountered but i have still questions.
    As you recommended lspci -nnk query, i found out my default wifi's chipset correctly (rtl8187SE). The only guide for this chipset was in here (forums.remote-exploit.org/bt4beta-working-hardware/22257-anyone-who-uses-rtl8187se-read.html). It was for BT4 Beta. So i needed a patch for Alfa AWUS050NH that works under BT4 Beta and i found in here (forums.remote-exploit.org/bt4beta-working-hardware/23343-rt2870-bt4-guide-working.html).
    The problem was BT4 Beta had no installer and i had to do manuel hdd install from usb so i tried this (forums.remote-exploit.org/latest-public-release-backtrack4-beta/23265-quick-install-backtrack4-beta-hdd-usb.html)
    I had Winxp and BT4 Final with grub before. So in a live session i destroyed BT4 final partitions, created new ones and started to manuel install.I copied files with no problems.But i have encountered "command not found" error when i tried to install grub "installpkg /mnt/sdc1/grub-0.97-i486-6.tgz". Yes, i noticed sdc1 interface was my usb interface so i changed it to correct letters (sdb). And yes, i put grub-0.97-i486-6.tgz file in my usb thumb. But still i couldnt install grub and couldnt reach both windows and BT4 Beta. So i solved this problem my installing Ubuntu 9.10 which installs grub automatically.
    1. Where could i find a GUI based Grub installer?
    I managed to work both rtl8187se with Coffee driver and rt2870 with Apocolipse driver. Coffee driver is a very basic driver. You can see that while you try to put that card into monitor mode. In short words, it works very slowly when i tried Chop-Chop method and sometimes it cannot do fake authentication. (instability, i think).
    2. Is there any better drivers for rtl8187se?
    Apocolipse drivers working just fine with a small problem. When i try fake authentication with fake MAC address of my wifi card, the packet which i forged by the methods of chop-chop, doesn't generate any data traffic (IVs). So i have to use my real MAC address in order to get results from Chop-Chop. It situation is exactly the same in BT3 for this card (AWUS050NH). I didn't encountered this problem for rtl8187se card under coffee drivers.
    3. So how could we solve this issue?

Regards