Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Issue connecting to internet BT4

Just burned his ISO

Well I've been searching around and I've been finding a lot of info.. but none of it seems to be doing me any good. I've found some that get the error for other reasons, tried out the fixes for those with no luck...

I've tried removing the false entries in the route with route del and then adding 10.0.2.0 as a host, netmask 255.255.255.0 and then adding the network default with a netmask 0.0.0.0 and the gateway 10.0.2.2... still nothing.

I checked the IF config and manually altered the broadcast, inet address and mask (which didn't need to be changed, but why not) to what the eth0 on suse gave... nothing. I've tried manually putting in the info into WICD as static using the ifconfig eth0 output I got from SuSE and nothing... I've been using /etc/init.d/networking start every once in a while to make sure they kick in (I don't know if they need it to start or what, but just in case) and if I start making too many changes I use /etc/init.d/networking restart to send it to default and start over again...

Oh, and I've adjusted the resolv.conf all the while as well.

Any ideas? =/ Sorry if the answer is like... really obvious -_- I've basically cloned the network over to what SuSE says, the commands started sending out pretty much the same output... I don't know =/ I'm pretty stuck here

You might want to try not using DHCP and configuring the IP address, default route and DNS servers all manually at the command line. At least as a troubleshooting step. Do it without using the networking service.

Check the link below.

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/tut...ork-cards.html
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Well, rather than open a new thread for similar issues, I did indeed take a break from my back track woes to focus on school, but getting into hacking FOR my school triggered my interest in BT4 again. I downloaded the final version, rather than the pre-final and it seems to run better, obviously.

I boot up and before startx I run ifconfig, eth0 isn't initialized, so I run /etc/init.d networking start. eth0 loads fine, I run ifconfig eth0 up to ensure it's up and it is.

Now, I've read two different ways of configuring your net. dhcpcd and NetworkManager. I run dhcpcd and I get an error - saying it isn't installed. I try NetworkManager start - it's not installed.

So... how do I configure my internet.. an alternate way? I mean, if I could find the programs I could install them via flash drive, but I'm trying to go about it assuming I'm not using a VirtualBox (just to be difficult ;P)

Why is it saying (or are they simply not) they aren't installed and is there any other commands plausible to use similar to these that will start up the net? I apologize if this has been brought up before, I've tried searching, it's late, I'm tired and I feel like I am failing hard.

Thank you to any who can help =)

//Extra note: I'm running a whole new copy of BT4, so the old problem is completely unrelated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12