Thread: extrange problem randomly changes card CHANNEL alfa awus036h

Just burned his ISO

Default extrange problem randomly changes card CHANNEL alfa awus036h

Hi!

card: alfa awus036h
    system: bt3 on vmware (vmplayer) on windows 7

Problem: each time I run iwconfig or one of the aircrack commands, the card's channel changes !!

see for yourself

[ok since im new the system didnt let me upload the pic, but only shows how the channel changes after each iwconfig wlan0 command , ALWAYS TO A DIFFERENT CHANNEL NUMBER]

of course under this circumstances its impossible to run any attack b/c of the message different channel / ap

Started testing wep this afternoon for the first time, and after being
    sucesfull 4 different times it sudently strarted to do that, aparently after
    i did a

airmon-ng stop wlan0
    airmon-ng start wlan0 11

to set a specific channel. but previously I forced to channel 1 and this did not happemn

I couldnt find the problem, sorry if I missed the thread

any clues of what I am doing wrong?

good day and thanks
    C.

If the device is set to a different channel even long after you have set the interface to be on a specific channel, there is another program using the interface, these could be airodump-ng, kismet, networkmanager, wicd, etc. Check iwevent to see if its actively hopping and kill the source so that iwevent won't be constantly scrolling.

Just burned his ISO

thanks, when I load airodump and enter the command you mention, it shows a continuos flow of channel hops, meaning the card is being changed to that channel?

after airmon-ng start wlan0, The card's channel remains stable in channel 10,

until I load airodump and stars hoping like crazy.

After this I can't use any other tool because airodump is changing the channel permanently and they cant match AP channel with my cards channel which is logical

this is insane
    What's going on?

There is an option inside airodump-ng to lock it to the channel read here:
    airodump-ng [Aircrack-ng]

Just burned his ISO

I ran into a problem like this and i've found that locking onto the channel you want in kismet solves it, before i learned that i used to keep entering the command till by chance my card was on the channel i wanted ha ha

to lock: in kismet leave out fit by pressing "s" then sort any way you want i guess "c" would be a good idea here then move to the AP you want and press "L" (that's a capital L)
    now try your other command should be right channel

You can lock into a channel with airodump-ng. You don't need an external program to lock the interface into a channel when its in use by another program which is hopping.

This is plainly an user error as this chipset does not hop by itself on default.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks, solved it by either quiting the airodump monitoring before continuining attacks, or by locking it to specific channel with the -c option.

After this I would change channel by; iwconfig wlan0 channel x

so you say it is a regular behavior of airodump to change cards channels each time it hops through the available APs ??

By default airodump-ng does change the card/s channels regardless if it sees an AP or not on a specific channel. Much like how kismet works, if you don't set it to dwell in kismet or lock, it will channel hop on its own.