Thread: Help installing drivers to Backtrack 4 Live CD

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Help installing drivers to Backtrack 4 Live CD

Hi I have a new laptop and it has a Realtek RTL8191SE chipset wireless card. The Final version of BT4 does not support this card. I found these drivers on realteks website and i want to install them into the Live CD. How can I do that?

Do I have to modify the Iso file in some way. If anyone knows how to do this please help me out thanks.

Realtek rtl8191 Drivers for linux are from the Realtek site

Default Help with rtl8197sechipset

You can simply dowload the file and install it. You might run into problems later on as it's not supported. Your best bet is to buy a USB like alfa that uses rtl8187 I have one and works great. I have alot of wireless cards I use for different attacks, so you need to play with them until you master them. Also you will not get as long of range with the built in card you currently have.
    The enemy is no longer ignorance - It is vigilance

Just burned his ISO

Thanks

I will look into buying a compatible USB wireless adapter. Is there a list posted anywhere of the brands and models that do work with backtrack 4. Also how would i install the drivers that are for the rtl8191 into the live DVD.

Most wireless chipsets should have backtrack support. However if you want the ones that are also capable of monitor and injecting, I'd suggest reading: Drivers - Linux Wireless. Also I'd check aircrack-ng wiki pages and both of these (as in backtrack and aircrack-ng) forums along with google to make sure the device I want to buy is indeed if supported or not.

For including the drivers onto the liveDVD, you will need to remaster the image (meaning backtrack 4 iso file) and then burning it again. There are two ways of doing it:
    1) You use muts update script, here: http://www.offensive-security.com/bl...-the-easy-way/

2) You use remastersys, which I think would be preferrable to have BT installed first before attempting it.