Thread: Cannot Decide on these dongles

Question Cannot Decide on these dongles

Edimax EW-7318USG
    ALFA Networks AWUS036E
    ALFA Networks AWUS036H

These are the only Dongles i have access to with Antenna Jacks and i cannot decide.

Ive searched through the forums and ive seen 5-6 good and 5-6 bad threads on all of them, making the decision very hard.

I have had good success with the rt73 chipset on my tplink wn321ng device but it has no antenna upgrade. And because it worked well i thought the edimax which uses the rt73 would be a good choice.

Then i read that the other 2 ALFA devices have high power ratings, but are not rt73. Ive read that the Realtek 8187L is out of the box compatible but is buggy and has trouble connecting to networks & has injection trouble...

So im very torn, Basically will the edimax rt73 chipset with an antenna perform significantly better then my tplink wn321g rt73.

Or will the ALFA devices dominate them both and be worth getting?

Also should i be looking at a 802.11n device? Are there any with an antenna and BT4 Support

Alfa AWUS036E and Alfa AWUS036H posses exactly the same chipset just with different output and some other variances. the AWUS036E can do 50mW as far as I recall whilst the AWUS036H originally can do 500mW but now they have for sale 1W (refer to other threads on this forum via searching to see the differences).

What you have read about Realtek RTL8187L with it being buggy, etc. Those issues varies with the driver you use. There are currently two known drivers, one is r8187 and the other one (latter one) rtl8187. Both of these work differently but they both support the same chipset, etc. Generally the issues with r8187 have been mostly ironed out however it lacks a few features that rtl8187 is capable of doing. rtl8187 on the other hand supports most of the rtl8187 family (rtl8187l, rtl8187b, and possibly rtl8187se). However the issues were apparent with older kernels (such as in bt4b for example).

The Edimax dongle, because it has external antenna capability, and with the supplied 2dbi as far as I know antenna, can do slightly better than your TP-Link. Then again, it gives you the variety of options should you later decide to either buy a bigger antenna, buy an amplifier, buy a surge protector, etc.

rt73 has had a few issues in the past with the ways in how its supposed to operate but with rt73usb on newer stack its becoming ideal.

Those 802.11n devices, particuarly dongles are slowly gaining support. Unless you live on the bleeding edge of kernels and/or wireless-testing packages you may not get the full advantage of the chipset. As you would have seen with those rt2860, etc. These are supported but they need newer kernels and/or wireless-testing.

It is a good idea if you want to future proof yourself is to get a 802.11n capable device, however if you are after distance and am on a bit of budget, stick with b/g for now and maybe get something like AWUS036EH or AWUS036H.

I have Alfa Networks AWUS036H 1000mv It is good and seems to be working in VMware BT4 beta. Iv been capturing my wpa traffick and cracked WEP and WPA passwords.

Sweet thanks guys,

I think ill wait for 802.11n devices to become more widespread before i get one. I can only find 1 which has an antenna and its by netcomm.

Ill grab an ALFA AWUS036H. And worse case scenario the edimax is only 25$ i can grab that 2 if i dont like the alfa, and get a cheap 9db antenna for it.