Thread: Backtrack/Aircrack-NG and Intel 4965AGN/iwlagn: A step-by-step?

riahc3

Default Backtrack/Aircrack-NG and Intel 4965AGN/iwlagn: A step-by-step?

Hey

Ive tried about 5 times to do a WEP crack (Im using WEP because this is just to learn how all this works and since it is my network and WEP is the easiest, I might as well learn to crawl before I run) on my network (hell the password is 123456; cant get much easier to crack) and Ive tried step by step all the tutorials I could find but it seems I simply miss/misunderstand a step or the tutorials are outdated. My OS is Ubuntu 9.10. Ive also tried BackTrack 4. Im just wondering if someone could go step by step with me (from installing the OS/using Backtrack for this card to actually trying to WEP crack my network) or at least answer some questions:

1: What is the best and most up-to-date tutorial?
    2: Is using 9.10 OK? Is the default install OK?
    3: Is using 1.0 of Aircrack-NG OK? Is using 4.0 Backtrack OK?
    4: I think that having wlan0 and mon0 may cause problems for me to understand; I understand the driver works this way and I always use mon0 but why two seprete interfaces?
    5: My problem lies when I try to "auth"; Ive tried differnt ACKs settings, different distances, etc but nothing. My router is a Asus WL500W.
    6: Ive also tried airoscript-ng as well but still nothing. I select a option and it "bugs out" going to the main menu.

If someone could take 10 minutes to give me a step by step or some updated pages for this card, thank you very much.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by riahc3 View Post
    If someone could take 10 minutes to give me a step by step or some updated pages for this card, thank you very much.
    We already have a bazillion "step by steps" on the subject you are only a search away from finding them.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

(hell the password is 123456; cant get much easier to crack)
    this makes no sense have you tried to read the aircrack-ng man ? I read it about 3 times and printed it! =D

don't mind but there are huge great tutorials arround.
    www.myownremote.blogspot.com

riahc3

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    We already have a bazillion "step by steps" on the subject you are only a search away from finding them.
    Like I commented, this card is "special" and there are so many tutorials saying things that are against each other (example (these are just examples that do not exist): one may say "Put the card in green mode, not in red mode" while another one says "Put the card in red mode, not in green mode") and make it very troublesome. If you could at least answer the questions, they would lead me to some better searching.

Thank you.

riahc3

Quote Originally Posted by Reeth View Post
    this makes no sense
    This is my network and I set that password. I just want to crack it and to crack it another computer should be able to reveal that password.

1) Search this forum or aircrack-ng's wiki pages.
    2) No, and we don't support ubuntu/xubuntu/kubuntu/edubuntu or any of the *buntu named distros. This is a backtrack forum.
    3) Yes
    4) That's because you're using airmon-ng and if you're not familiar with linux commands let alone linux CLI, you're going to have difficulty understanding anything. There is a simple command that you can issue to turn wlan0 into monitor mode without having to create another interface.
    5) Which interface did you use? Have you also tried testing injection to see if it works?
    6) The use of scripts denotes your incapability to use linux properly. Furthermore, airoscript has their own area of support on aircrack-ng's forums.

riahc3

As a side comment, the users on this forum are VERY rude. Surprised me but oh well....

1: What is the best and most up-to-date tutorial?
    2: Is using 9.10 OK? Is the default install OK?
    3: Is using 1.0 of Aircrack-NG OK? Is using 4.0 Backtrack OK?
    4: I think that having wlan0 and mon0 may cause problems for me to understand; I understand the driver works this way and I always use mon0 but why two seprete interfaces?
    5: My problem lies when I try to "auth"; Ive tried differnt ACKs settings, different distances, etc but nothing. My router is a Asus WL500W.
    6: Ive also tried airoscript-ng as well but still nothing. I select a option and it "bugs out" going to the main menu.

1) Search this forum or aircrack-ng's wiki pages.
    2) No, and we don't support ubuntu/xubuntu/kubuntu/edubuntu or any of the *buntu named distros. This is a backtrack forum.
    3) Yes
    4) That's because you're using airmon-ng and if you're not familiar with linux commands let alone linux CLI, you're going to have difficulty understanding anything. There is a simple command that you can issue to turn wlan0 into monitor mode without having to create another interface.
    5) Which interface did you use? Have you also tried testing injection to see if it works?
    6) The use of scripts denotes your incapability to use linux properly. Furthermore, airoscript has their own area of support on aircrack-ng's forums.
    1) Tutorials on aircrack-ng's wiki pages are outdated for the latest build. And newed dated tutorials conflict with each other
    2) Ill get back to this question later
    3) Thank you
    4) I understand that the airmon-ng program is to put my card in monitor mode. AFAIK, you NEED to have 2 interfaces (for this driver) which are wlan0 (which isnt used for anything in a aircrack-ng process) and mon0 (which is the monitor mode interface)
    5) mon0. I believe I did and it passed the "injection test" Ill try it again and post results
    6) Airoscript-ng is actually a program with different scripts which just makes the whole cracking thing alot easier. I dont actually need to run/use a script with things like
    ./nameofscripthere -argument1 value -argument2 value
    Airscript-ng just runs and execute its own scripts with the data I enter

2) and you say that I have no idea about Linux at all. I may not be a "expert" like you but you said that this forum doesnt support any "*buntu named distros" yet your distro is based on Debian and Ubuntu is based on...........so yeah.............Your distro is (more or less) equal to Ubuntu. As a matter of fact, using different window managers, downloading some packages, and changing some settings I think we can make Backtrack look exactly like Ubuntu. So yes...........I guess both are very very different

This isn't paid support, you either take it or leave it.

1) They aren't exactly outdated, they lack maintaners whom would have information about it. This doesn't mean you can't simply google, or check the forums for more information.

4) you DON'T need 2 interfaces. Some people get confused thinking that after issuing airmon-ng start wlan0, the interface wlan0 is now an interface they can use to inject. Which is the WRONG perception. The guides would recommend mon0 but if you are smart enough, you'd only need ONE for most commands.

6) Yes at the same time it makes you less aware of any errors that it may have encountered. Before using scripts to make life easier, it would be really ideal to learn the actual tools behind it no? If you don't know how to use a screwdriver to unscrew a screw of, why would you bother with a cordless electric drill (with detachable heads). Do you get what I mean? Learn the basics first before trying out something that would make life easier. Try something easy first just to realise its not working but haven't bothered to learn the basics with the simpler things shows alot to question for.

2) Do you actually see ubuntu users asking for help in debian channel/forum? do you see knoppix users asking for help in debian channel/forum? These may share the same package manager and some other similarities but their purpose are completely different.

Just because Backtrack is based off ubuntu, it does not automagically mean that backtrack has to support ubuntu users and vice-versa. Also there is a rule here that there will be no support given to those who convert their ubuntu into backtrack and vice-versa. I'm sure much the same sort of attitude would be taken if you were on ubuntu channel/forum trying to do the same sort of deal.

FYI: When I said you have no idea about linux and that I'm an expert I do not mean in the point of question #2 that you posted. I meant on your 6th question. I don't judge people by the distro they run. I judge them by the ways they communicate like as if they have some knowledge and have done some actual research before asking. Also no I do not claim myself as an expert.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hatake_kakashi View Post
    This isn't paid support, you either take it or leave it.
    My sentiments exactly.
    2) Do you actually see ubuntu users asking for help in debian channel/forum? do you see knoppix users asking for help in debian channel/forum? These may share the same package manager and some other similarities but their purpose are completely different.
    Just because Backtrack is based off ubuntu, it does not automagically mean that backtrack has to support ubuntu users and vice-versa. Also there is a rule here that there will be no support given to those who convert their ubuntu into backtrack and vice-versa. I'm sure much the same sort of attitude would be taken if you were on ubuntu channel/forum trying to do the same sort of deal.

Again we don't care what you call your version of Ubuntu if it is not Backtrack then we are not supporting it. This was what our administrator told me when I asked. I have since not received a different answer, as such it still stands.

@ OP there is plenty of information in this tutorial as well as here and the internet in general. It is your job to research it. If you find that there is outdated information somewhere then do some experimenting on your own. Then once you have success why not report it to the author/maintainer of said outdated material.
    Furthermore some tutorials and guides may be old but the principles are the same. If you have anything of value to add to this thread then by all means contact me per PM and I will open this thread up or add the information.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.