Thread: Some things just never get fixed. . .

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

So I downloaded Ubuntu 9.10 i386 (the DVD edition). I burned it to a DVD, booted it up and installed it to my hard disk.

After it was installed, I booted off my hard disk.

First impressions: Fantastic, I love it. I'm gonna have fun playing around with it for the next few days.

So then I think hmm... it's time to connect to the internet. I hook up my Alfa and I use the built-in super duper Wifi manager to connect. No problem, got connected in a jiffy.

......but then to my dismay, I found that even the latest version of Ubuntu still has that stupid about the rtl8187 driver. You get a great connection for 10 seconds, then it drops out for 10 seconds, the it comes back for 10 seconds, then it drops out again.

I mean COME ON, how long will this go on for?! I can remember having this problem back with Ubuntu 8.04... and how many moons ago was that?! There's no excuse for this crap. My Alfa 500mW works fine in Backtrack 4 Pre-Final, so there's obviously a solution out there, so why the are Ubuntu still using that buggy driver?

Anyway... sorry... I know this isn't the place to complain about Ubuntu... (although I'll admit it was fun to vent some steam )... but there is a real reason why I posted here:

How can I bring the Alfa driver from BT4 across to Ubuntu?

I remember there was a solution for this back when I was trying out Ubuntu 8.04, but I believe the solution was specific to that kernel version. Here's an example of a solution: zenzike's blog: Wireless Woes

I'm using the latest Ubuntu which is version 9.10, and its kernel version is:
    Code:
    2.6.31-14-generic
    I don't know a of a lot about device drivers and so forth when it comes to Linux, but I'm more than willing to stick some more knowledge in my head.

Can anyone please help me out?

P.S. I've searched the web but all I found was hundreds of forum posts where people moan about their Alfa not working in Ubuntu... I haven't seen a solution that will work for the latest version of Ubuntu.

Another example of a solution... but it seems to be for kernel 2.6.27:

Ubuntu Forums - View Single Post - [ubuntu] Trouble with Wif/Fi Adapter Alfa AWUS036H chipset Rtl8187
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

well you could try and use r8187 driver (which is the legacy version). Other than that, you will need to look for compat-wireless (older versions, and not really recommended).

Last but not least is to probably use something like virtualisation and BT on top lol.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

I've just wasted 5 hours of my life trying to get my Alfa working properly in Ubuntu 9.10.

First, I tried compiling the Compat drivers, but OF COURSE there had to be a compiler error that I had to look into.

So after I finally got the Compat drivers compiled and installed, I tried them out... and they were just as as the ones that came shipped with Ubuntu.

And I also tried just copying the rtl8187.ko from my BT4 installation but that didn't work either, it gave me:

Code:
    FATAL: Error inserting rtl8187 (/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rtl818x/rtl8187.ko): Invalid module format
    I can't believe this. What the hell have the Ubuntu team being doing for the last year?! Surely there's enough people using the rtl8187 chipset to warrant them actually sorting the thing out.

If one of the Backtrack developers is listening, could you please tell me where you got the rtl8187 driver from and what changes you had to make to get it working properly?

Sweet mother of, I've got it working.

Code:
    cd
    mkdir THANK_
    cd THANK_
    wget http://virjacode.com/projects/beefup/dloads/rtl8187L_linux_26.1039.0104.2010.release.tar.gz
    tar xf rtl8187L_linux_26.1039.0104.2010.release.tar.gz
    cd rtl8187L_linux_26.1039.0104.2010.release
    make
    sudo make install
    Reboot your computer after you do all that, and enjoy.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Good job have fun.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Seriously the cursing and the use of religious references are not need nor appreciated. Not to mention there are not in tolerance with the rules.
    Thanks.

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/ann...e-posting.html
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.