Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: apt-get dist-upgrade issue

Default apt-get dist-upgrade issue

So this morning i (as usual) did an apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade in the hopes of BT4F being in the repos . However, instead, i got a list of of TexLive language packs and other strangeness.

The following NEW packages will be installed:
    dvipdfmx latex-beamer latex-xcolor libkpathsea4 lmodern pgf preview-latex-style prosper python-pyx scapy2 tetex-extra tex-common texlive
    texlive-base texlive-base-bin texlive-base-bin-doc texlive-bibtex-extra texlive-common texlive-doc-base texlive-font-utils
    texlive-fonts-extra texlive-fonts-extra-doc texlive-fonts-recommended texlive-fonts-recommended-doc texlive-generic-extra
    texlive-generic-recommended texlive-humanities texlive-humanities-doc texlive-lang-croatian texlive-lang-cyrillic
    texlive-lang-czechslovak texlive-lang-danish texlive-lang-dutch texlive-lang-finnish texlive-lang-french texlive-lang-german
    texlive-lang-greek texlive-lang-hungarian texlive-lang-italian texlive-lang-latin texlive-lang-mongolian texlive-lang-norwegian
    texlive-lang-other texlive-lang-polish texlive-lang-portuguese texlive-lang-spanish texlive-lang-swedish texlive-lang-vietnamese
    texlive-latex-base texlive-latex-base-doc texlive-latex-extra texlive-latex-extra-doc texlive-latex-recommended
    texlive-latex-recommended-doc texlive-math-extra texlive-pictures texlive-pictures-doc texlive-pstricks texlive-pstricks-doc
    texlive-publishers texlive-publishers-doc tipa
    Is there a way to check which installed package is causing this? i tried cleaning up recently installed things, using default sources.lst etc - no dice. Anyone else seeing this?

actually this is my output after the apt-get update&&apt-get dist-upgrade >

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    scapy2
    The following packages have been kept back:
    backtrack-discovery backtrack-enumeration backtrack-network
    The following packages will be upgraded:
    framework3
    1 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
    75 not fully installed or removed.
    Need to get 0B/16.0MB of archives.
    After this operation, 2597kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    (Reading database ... 301045 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking scapy2 (from .../scapy2_2.1-bt0_all.deb) ...
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/scapy2_2.1-bt0_all.deb (--unpack):
    trying to overwrite `/opt/kde3/share/applications/external/scapy.desktop', which is also in package scapy-menu
    Preparing to replace framework3 3.4-8051-bt0 (using .../framework3_3.4-8091-bt0_all.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement framework3 ...
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/framework3_3.4-8091-bt0_all.deb (--unpack):
    trying to overwrite `/opt/metasploit3/msf3/modules/MetaScan.rb', which is also in package metascan
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/scapy2_2.1-bt0_all.deb
    /var/cache/apt/archives/framework3_3.4-8091-bt0_all.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

tryin to find out what's wrong...

RageLtMan:
    Guide for apt-get
    hXXp://www X linuxX com/archive/articles/40745

You will want to do a 'apt-get -s dist-upgrade' to get more information about the updates.
    Mathematical reasoning may be regarded rather schematically as the exercise of a combination of two facilities, which we may call intuition and ingenuity.

johnjohnsp1: The framework upgrade issue is a conflict between packages --force-overwrite can resolve that though i'm unsure as to whether or not it would affect package removal down the line.

valifake: thx, i'll take a look @ the guide when i have a bit more free time. I was hoping someone here knew outright if there was some dependency issue being resolved by procuring all the layTex stuff.

I recently installed gnome.do and was looking for texmate, but never installed it. i removed openoffice and such, now im somewhat at a loss as to why it would try to pull all those language packs and steal 340 mb of my drive (i remastersys my install onto USB on occasion and the ISO can't exceed 4GB).

Developer

We will be getting this fixed asap. Thanks for posting. Its not something you have done wrong.

Good stuff pureh@te, thanks. I removed a few things from an older version of my bt4 setup that i compressed to ISO and had on USB, and that seemed to fix it (removed everything openoffice.org related but i think that also took out a good chunk of the BT metapackages as i was just testing on a RO FS). That version was from wednesday i think, and it had the issue as well. The only difference between that version and my current build is dvd::rip being installed along with all dependencies, and i'm pretty sure one of the shared dependencies for openoffice and a lot of the BT4 metapackages is to blame. I should have some time to test tomorrow @ the office (my day somewhat booked) and i can tell you exactly which dependency causes this if you want once i remove them one by one.

I've taken a look at how to build .deb packages from source and its not a short process to do it properly, i need to actually go through it a few times to get it down pat. Afterwards i may be able to help in resolving the issue.

BTW, with 8.10 slowly going the way of the dinosaur in terms of updating things in the repos, does anyone have any outlook on where we're moving down the road? Is karmic an option for a future base-line OS? is x64? Its a boat-load of work, and i'm wondering if we could start a matrix of application/script requirements for our toolset we could start porting it over with FULL DOCUMENTATION of the process so that it could be repeated, tested, and verified by trusted members or the dev team themselves to make sure nobody is adding backdoors or rootkits to the build? Kind of a peer-review version like the kernel build process...

Just burned his ISO

Dont know if this is related...but after apt-get dist-upgrade
    firefox will no longer work. says

Could not find compatible GRE between version 1.9.0.1 and 1.9.0.*.

Hmm, i didn't get this, but i replaced ffox with shiretoko from their repo which explains the difference.

Junior Member imported_soultaker666's Avatar

Code:
    apt-get update&&apt-get dist-upgrade
    After running this everything updated fine but now Mozilla won't run at all. I get no errors. I just click to open it and nothing happens. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.

Just burned his ISO

correct me if im wrong. but the firefox thing isnt new. it happened to me back with bt4 pre final. just restart the computer and it should work fine on start up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast