Thread: trouble with wlan signal

Just burned his ISO

Default trouble with wlan signal

OK, let me explain - I've used this USB wlan adapter - Linksys WUSB54GC - with BT3 for a long time, but now (BT4) I can't connect to any wireless network, knowing the key and everything. The adapter is surely recognized by the system, but the only time I could connect to the Internet was when I put my router on max power and brought the laptop real close to it. The strange thing is that in Windows I can connect to the same networks from wherever I want. Could it be that there's a limit (like if the signal is low enough it won't connect)? I'd like to switch to BT completely, but until I solve this, I'm stuck with Windows.... Thanks in advance

oh, PS it does see APs and can crack a WEP key like it's nothing

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by koyan View Post
    OK, let me explain - I've used this USB wlan adapter - Linksys WUSB54GC - with BT3 for a long time, but now (BT4) I can't connect to any wireless network, knowing the key and everything. The adapter is surely recognized by the system, but the only time I could connect to the Internet was when I put my router on max power and brought the laptop real close to it. The strange thing is that in Windows I can connect to the same networks from wherever I want. Could it be that there's a limit (like if the signal is low enough it won't connect)? I'd like to switch to BT completely, but until I solve this, I'm stuck with Windows.... Thanks in advance

oh, PS it does see APs and can crack a WEP key like it's nothing
    Not a bug or a fix. Post in the correct section.
    It will also be good idea to use the search function both here and a google. This has been covered extensively.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

There might be a few causes to this:

1) you haven't setup reg dom. By default its set to US and if you're in US that's ok. Otherwise you need to adjust it to your own country. man iw.

2) It is an issue with either the signal quality or the relative distance. More information can be seen via wpa_supplicant for example if you are using that to connect to wpa protected network. This can also be plainly seen if you're running wireshark and seeing if there's any response from the AP whilst the dongle is trying to connect.

3) Depending on the chipset, and the driver at times, yes it could be the TX power level might not be high enough. Basically its the same instance as #2 and if that's the case you may need to vary around the drivers (even ndiswrapper) just to locate the exact cause of the issue.