Thread: Someone teach me basic networking for linux

Just burned his ISO

Post Someone teach me basic networking for linux

Hi, my name is ZeroCold, i'm from Romania and i have a big problem. I have download backtrack4 and i have a problem with my network connection.
    I don't know how to configure the internet.

My modem details:

Zapp Z040:

National high data rates - up to 3.1 Mbps download speed and 1.8 Mbps upload speed on EvDo revA, up to 2.4 Mbps and 153.6 Kbps on EvDo Rev0 and up to 153, 6 kbps for both upload and download in 1XRTT

Compact size - internal antenna with receive diversity for both CDMA 1X and EvDo (RevA and Rev0) modes.

Plug and play - automatic drivers' installation.

Z040 Manager software interface - for internet conection/deconection and for SMS send/receive.

OLED screen - with 3 active lines display

How i can configure the internet???

sorry my english

Thanks!

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

You might have luck with this tutorial:

Linux Internet Connection - Virjacode
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Someone teach me basic networking for linux
    I know someone called Google = )

he's great at teaching things!
    www.myownremote.blogspot.com

Hello ZeroCold,
    First I would recomend downloading the current ubuntu liveCD 9.10.

Boot from this and plug the device in a type 'dmesg' unplug it and plug it in again type 'dmesg'.Keep doing this until you can identify the text that is associated with this device. it should be something to do with '/dev/ttyACM0'.

Once you have that save that text.

Then do the same with 'sudo lsusb' until you have that text. You now have the information that you need to google with.

You can try to use netmanager in ubuntu to get the device to work(network icon in the top righthand corner). Ubuntu is very good a supporting GSM/GPRS/CMDA/3G modems. If its going to work this is your best bet.

Once you have all of this information you can attempt to get it working with back track. Your going to need the module(driver) name and a dialup program. This is something else you will need to research.

After having a quick look on the zapp site ( hXXp://www X zapp X ro/en/personal/terminals/modems/drivers-and-manuals/ ) I can see that there was a linux driver for the Z010 but that is now discontinued. Some questions to Zapp customer support might help you.

In future you will want to check that ALL hardware is compatitable with Linux before you buy it.

Best of Luck.
    Mathematical reasoning may be regarded rather schematically as the exercise of a combination of two facilities, which we may call intuition and ingenuity.

Just burned his ISO

It depends on your network topology . Use "ifconfig" tool to do all required operations and "iwconfig" for WiFi connection. Google for more informations and look at MAN pages of these 2 tools that I've given.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Reeth View Post
    I know someone called Google = )

he's great at teaching things!
    Please, if you are going to give a answer like this I would prefer you dont give any answer at all.

Maybe that link can help you:
    http://forum.ubuntu.ro/viewtopic.php?pid=55236

Edit: God damn. You are the same person to the above?