Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ALFA USB 500mW WiFI Adapter does it work?

Just burned his ISO

Default ALFA USB 500mW WiFI Adapter does it work?

I needed to know if the ALFA USB 500mW WiFI Adapter works out the box with bt4-and bt3? I was gonna use a orinoco wireless card but since by accident i got the IBM thinkpad sl410. I don't think they make the card's yet for that notebook, i found that alfa USB 500mW WiFI Adapter would be the best choice to go with if i'm stuck with the note book. any thought or advice will be most appreciated.

It will work better than the orinoco card.

This is one of the most discussed topics here. A simple search pattern would yield all answers.
    <EeePc 1000HA BT4/W7 USB boot Alfa500 GPS BlueTooth>

Just burned his ISO

I just got my Alfa in the mail from ebay the other day and it works amazingly. My laptop's internal Intel 3945abg is terrible! The included CD even has a 1w driver.

Just burned his ISO

you've likely only heard of the alfa because of its reputation for use with backtrack/packet injection. i hate to be 'one of those guys' but seriously, use the search function.

Quote Originally Posted by travanx View Post
    I just got my Alfa in the mail from ebay the other day and it works amazingly. My laptop's internal Intel 3945abg is terrible! The included CD even has a 1w driver.
    To travanx. Did you get the 500mw or the 1watt alfa? I have the 500mw version and a 1watt antcor adapter using the same chip. Are you able to change tx power in the realtek utility that comes with it?

Yes it works out of the box.

I can personally vouch for it on BT4 Final.

Depending whether you download the ISO or the Pre-Built VM Image it will work in different ways (taking it up and down, creating mon0, txpower etc etc) from my experience they were completely different and it was very unusual as to how different they were.

Quote Originally Posted by travanx View Post
    I didn't see the 1w driver on mine i bought it 2 weeks ago. Also i couldn't tell if mine was 1w or 500mw so i just run it at 500(27dbm) but ive read that going to 1w is only a 7% increase & that also running it over 20dbm is harmful to the device in the long run. So time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Damuskinous View Post
    I needed to know if the ALFA USB 500mW WiFI Adapter works out the box with bt4-and bt3? I was gonna use a orinoco wireless card but since by accident i got the IBM thinkpad sl410. I don't think they make the card's yet for that notebook, i found that alfa USB 500mW WiFI Adapter would be the best choice to go with if i'm stuck with the note book. any thought or advice will be most appreciated.
    you need a usb wifi card if your planning to use vmware, this one is good but like others said theres 100's of posts about this already especially the AWUS036H model

When you say you just run it at 500, exactly what do you do?
    I just plug mine in and have been presuming its running at full power.
    I have done the highpower 1 and txpower 20 but it seems to make no difference
    I also didn't realise going from 500mw to 1000mw would only produce a 7% gain!
    Why is the gain so small? Also would sticking an 18dbi antenna on make much difference?

Quote Originally Posted by TheGameAU View Post
    Yes it works out of the box.

I can personally vouch for it on BT4 Final.

Depending whether you download the ISO or the Pre-Built VM Image it will work in different ways (taking it up and down, creating mon0, txpower etc etc) from my experience they were completely different and it was very unusual as to how different they were.

I didn't see the 1w driver on mine i bought it 2 weeks ago. Also i couldn't tell if mine was 1w or 500mw so i just run it at 500(27dbm) but ive read that going to 1w is only a 7% increase & that also running it over 20dbm is harmful to the device in the long run. So time will tell.
    When you say you just run it at 500, exactly what do you do?
    I just plug mine in and have been presuming its running at full power.
    I have done the highpower 1 and txpower 20 but it seems to make no difference
    I also didn't realise going from 500mw to 1000mw would only produce a 7% gain!
    Why is the gain so small? Also would sticking an 18dbi antenna on make much difference?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast