Thread: Connecting to AP with defined MAC

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Connecting to AP with defined MAC

Extremely sorry if I am posting in an area where I am not supposed to. The last thing I want to do is upset mods or members. My question is probably a simple solution but I can't seem to figure it out. I have a backtrack live USB that I load. Once in the GUI I open the shell and change the mac as follows

Code:
    ifconfig wlan0 down
    ifconfig wlan0 hw ether XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    then i use,
    Code:
    wicd
    wicd-client
    after that i try to connect to an access point and I always get stuck at "Obtaining IP address"

When I just proceed without changing the MAC everything works fine as far as connecting to the AP. Has anyone else experienced this?

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Could be that XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX is not a valid MAC.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Just burned his ISO

well I though that could of been the case but then i change the second to last letter of my real mac address from d4 to e4 and left the first ten characters alone and still the same problem. I'm still playing with it and trying to work it out but still no go yet. It's really driving me crazy cause when i boot into ubuntu it works just fine.

If you are not able to change your mac address , then just turn the mac filter on your router off
    www.myownremote.blogspot.com

Just burned his ISO

Mac filtering is not on, on my router. That's the weird part. It doesn't work in Backtrack but when I boot into Ubuntu it works fine. It has to be something with backtrack I'm guessing. Unless the commands I enter in backtrack have to be slightly different other than that can't figure out what it is.