Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bt4 kernal update problem

Default bt4 kernal update problem

hi all
    i have trie to update the kernal using
    this tut :hxxp//www.offensive-security.com/blog/backtrack/backtrack-4-pre-final-kernel-update/

but when i use this command :apt-get install -d linux-image

i got the following error

Code:
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      linux-image
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
    E: Could not get lock /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock the download directory
    i hope this describes my problem well

another issue in synaptic
    i have this error when tring to upgarde

/var/cache/apt/archives/kismet_2008-05-R1-4_i386.deb: trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/kismet', which is also in package kismet-newcore
    thnx

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Where you root when you tried this?
    It looks to me as though you were not.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Where you root when you tried this?
    It looks to me as though you were not.
    Could also be that he had the package manager running at the same time as command line apt.

hi all
    yes archangel.amael i was a root
    and i dont have package manager running at the same time as command line apt. i had run a command line alone

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Could also be that he had the package manager running at the same time as command line apt.
    I think you caught his post after the edit, where that was added.

@OP I am looking into it. I will edit this post if I find anything.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    Back|Track Wiki

Try removing the locked file or kill the process.

no archangel.amael really i have changed my post i think whihle he was writing his post in regard synpatic ,it was another issue which i think to write aabout in other post but i have change my mind and i have edited my main post.thats all

Quote Originally Posted by mesmar View Post
    no archangel.amael really i have changed my post i think whihle he was writing his post in regard synpatic ,it was another issue which i think to write aabout in other post but i have change my mind and i have edited my main post.thats all
    As for the kernel issue
    Code:
    root@dorktest:~# apt-get install  -d linux-image 
    reading package lists....done
    TRUNCATED
    linux-image linux-image-2.6.30.9
    TRUNCATED
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
    Abort
    root@dorktest:~#
    Looks like it will work to me, the lock error will not come unless there is a process running apt like apt-get aptitude and or synaptic, or you were not working as root. Synaptic will tell you that you are not root when you start it up.
    As for the kismet newcore this should have been another thread.
    Kismet new core is already in BT4p-f. Are you trying to update it?
    Best be would be to go with apt-get upgrade and then try to install the packages you are wanting.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    Back|Track Wiki

this is what i get when using the command:apt-get install -d linux-image

root@bt4:~# apt-get install -d linux-image
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    python-pymssql ssldump-menu soapui powerfuzzer fasttrack libstrigiqtdbusclient0 gnuplot
    bluez-hcidump pcapsipdump openvas-libnasl jrtplib rt2860-sta python-zopeinterface menu
    python-twisted-names blueprint snmpenum sipsak-menu yersinia-menu grabber finger-menu
    clamav-menu scalpel-menu nbtscan python-twisted-core fierce macchanger-menu zzuf
    libalgorithm-diff-perl afflib-menu irpas-menu chkrootkit-menu netmask-menu lynx-menu
    php-mail-mime medusa-menu perl-www-checksite ratproxy sip-rogue cryptcat autoscan
    libdaemons-ruby1.8 python-pexpect libobject-multitype-perl miredo-server-menu
    libbluetooth-dev sipsak stunnel4-menu libportaudio2 liboop4 miredo sctpscan libiaxclient-dev
    libnetpacket-perl backtrack-python yersinia minicom-menu ncompress libnet-netmask-perl
    ark-kde3 complemento dsniff-menu evans-debugger libabz0 tcptraceroute sslscan-menu
    cisco-auditing-tool freetds-common dkftpbench openvas-menu python-clientform kgpg-kde3
    netdiscover sip-tester libthreads-shared-perl netmask crunch smb4k-kde3 libnet-rawip-perl
    hexedit python-twisted-web sqlmap gdb-menu host-menu clamav spectools libwxgtk2.6-0
    libsilc-1.1-2 udptunnel inguma perl-tie-chararray php-net-socket python-pydot unzip
    obexftp-menu pblind php5 iaxflood python-pycurl nsat libber0 clamav-freshclam dbpwaudit
    webscarab miredo-menu python-twisted-runner backtrack-tunneling libxmlrpc-c3
    backtrack-debuggers jmeter socat-menu backtrack-drivers dnstracer ddrescue ptunnel-menu
    packeth-menu rake smbfs ntop spectools-menu nstx php-mail ciscos dcfldd sslscan hping3-menu
    spikeproxy-menu windows-binaries libphp-adodb voiphopper backtrack-spoofing
    backtrack-antiforensics webshag librrd2 hping2 hping3 tinysnmp-tools backtrack-menu
    valgrind-menu sshatter milw0rm medusa arping2 wfuzz python-pymills nedit-menu wipe-menu
    cisco-ocs redirectpoison vinetto-menu backtrack-database nedit dnswalk openvas-client
    clamav-base metacoretex ohrwurm dnsmap autopsy-menu beef libmysqlclient15-dev netcat-menu
    framework2 broadcom-sta seat genip tinyproxy-menu libclamav5 smb4k-menu backtrack-cisco
    proxystrike libsox0 amap tcpick-menu libgadu3 brutessh socat adm-dns-tools foremost-menu
    openacunetix rtpflood ollydbg python-utidylib 0trace packit adm-snmp rtpbreak obexftp
    dnstracer-menu dns2tcp battlife autopsy sing backtrack-enumeration dnsenum jbrofuzz mboxgrep
    bvi-menu python-bluez python-beautifulsoup bf2 netactview samdump2 asp-audit smap libhesiod0
    libxml-smart-perl python-pam air-imager python-openssl python-twisted-mail sleuthkit
    ussp-push libgemplugin-ruby1.8 bed valgrind ussp-push-menu libxmlrpc-c3-dev usbview
    libtidy-0.99-0 stunnel4 finger libgemplugin-ruby copy-router-config php-pear python-numpy
    braa tinysnmp-tools-menu backtrack-perl dsniff libjack0.100.0-dev onesixtyone p0f bvi
    addregistrations snort usbview-menu sqlninja backtrack-discovery gdb protos-sip minimysqlator
    gnuplot-x11 python-soappy backtrack-bruteforce bluesmash cryptcat-menu python-4suite-doc
    smbrelay3 tinyproxy smbclient-menu libwxbase2.6-0 bluez-bt sipscan php-net-smtp python-ctypes
    xprobe2-menu driftnet-menu lbd scapy-menu python-xml grendelscan ida-pro-free libdaemons-ruby
    python-twisted-lore secure-delete sqlbrute gnuplot-nox python-twisted-conch leo
    libnet-pcap-perl nbtscan-menu truecrypt foremost framework3-libs python-pyopenssl
    nemesis-menu python-twisted-news python-twisted-words curl-menu wapiti burpsuite libdebug0
    backtrack-default-website cupp sslstrip ssldump sip-tester-menu galleta ettercap-gtk
    python-twisted sqlix rtpinject python-wxaddons udptunnel-menu metagoofil python-gnuplot
    list-urls spike-fuzzer openvas-plugins libxml2-dev bluez-menu btscanner mongrel swfintruder
    libct4 fping driftnet freetds-dev minicom libdate-manip-perl backtrack-passwords magicrescue
    ike-scan-menu backtrack-bluetooth netsed-menu ike-scan wmat tcpick chntpw-menu inviteflood
    libsox-fmt-base sox netsed bkhive-menu afflib backtrack-sniffers xprobe impacket-examples
    mssqlscan libasound2-dev imp-range libsybdb5 rubygem-mongrel python-pyparsing rcrack irpas
    python-setuptools wireshark-menu dffscanner perl-cisco-copy-config vinetto hydra sipvicious
    gooscan lodowep tftp-bruteforcer wyd wireshark zip libsox-fmt-alsa dirbuster backtrack-ruby
    ddrescue-menu python-fpconst libpurple-bin zoo python-4suite-xml tcptraceroute-menu
    packet-o-matic dcfldd-menu portaudio19-dev hping2-menu libjudydebian1 5nmp redfang etherape
    nemesis bkhive perl-tk php5-imagick wsfuzzer openvas-server libthreads-perl zzuf-menu
    libzephyr3 bunny php5-mysql propecia tcpreplay-menu libprelude2 xspy btscanner-menu enumiax
    spikeproxy backtrack-web xsss netifera paros peach backtrack-network teardown warvox libadns1
    backtrack-penetration chntpw scalpel kview-kde3 tcpreplay httprint magicrescue-menu nstx-menu
    bluez-hcidump-menu libnet1-dev super dns2tcp-menu blindsql 3proxy lame libruli4 miredo-server
    libgsm1-dev openvas-libraries sing-menu php5-adodb voiper ptunnel liblist-moreutils-perl
    sipcrack proxychains fping-menu saltymd5 libmotif3 packit-menu libjack-dev
    cisco-global-exploiter backtrack-fuzzers etherape-menu libnet1 python-twisted-bin
    backtrack-voip chkrootkit backtrack-forensics john hamster csrftester galleta-menu
    mboxgrep-menu p0f-menu proxytunnel ntop-menu wapiti-menu wireshark-common onesixtyone-menu
    bluebugger libspeexdsp1 packeth erase-registrations libnids1.21 w3af ettercap-common
    php-mail-mimedecode libiaxclient1 sipbomber ettercap-gtk-menu
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    linux-image
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0B/1560B of archives.
    After this operation, 1741kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Download complete and in download only mode
    what does it mean Download complete and in download only mode

Quote Originally Posted by mesmar View Post
    this is what i get when using the command:apt-get install -d linux-image

what does it mean Download complete and in download only mode
    That's what the -d means in apt-get -d linux-image....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast