Thread: No write permissions USB drive BackTrack 3

Just burned his ISO

Default No write permissions USB drive BackTrack 3

I'm using BackTrack 3 via VMWare Workstation ACE edition under Windows 7. It is running fine, I did a manual install and it runs very well from the virtual disk, no longer using the .iso file. it saves my data to the virtual disk, etc, and maintains my changes after I reboot the VM. My question is, I have a USB Flash Drive that I am able to access and copy files from, but I can not copy files to it. It gives the error "you can not drop any items in a directory in which you do not have permission". I've tried to chmod the sdb1 folder, tried chown root sdb1 etc, and I get errors saying Unable to change permissions. Read only file system. How can I get this fixed? I've looked through the forum first for answers, but none have helped me resolve it. All I really want to do is figure out how I can have read/write permissions so I can copy files from the BackTrack 3 VM onto my flash drive and open them in Windows. If nothing else, can I mount my Windows partition so that I can copy the files I need directly? I need to get files from the backtrack into windows either via the usb drive or windows 7 drive

Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance....

You'll probably need to use root to read/write, depending on the filesystem and also check `mount' to see if how its mounted as.

Just burned his ISO

Default Use root and check mount

I am root. As far as checking mount to see if and how it is mounted...what do you mean? I know it is mounted because I can read from it. I just have no permission to write to it.

If you can, please let me know what I can do to check it's mount info.

thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by liquid6140 View Post
    I am root. As far as checking mount to see if and how it is mounted...what do you mean? I know it is mounted because I can read from it. I just have no permission to write to it.

If you can, please let me know what I can do to check it's mount info.

thanks,
    You can mount volumes read only you know.

Use the "mount" command to check the mount status of volumes.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

I've checked the mount status of the usb drive via the mount command.
    It says...

/dev/sdb1 on /mnt/sdb1 type ntfs (rw)

So I'm not sure what the problem is. (rw) should mean read/write correct?
    Why do I not have permission to write to this drive?

i'd love to be able to, doesn't help me much being able to copy from it but not to it.

thanks for all the help,

Just a thought, could it be that the reason that my USB drive is mounting with Read only permissions is because I'm running BT3 via VMWare Workstation? I was thinking maybe it's Read Only because the drive is "locked" by Windows and VMWare only allows Read access to it.

If this is a possibility, would anyone know how to get around this? Maybe by Removing it from Windows so that I can have full access in my Virtual Machine?

Thanks for all the help...

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Use the edit button please.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.