Thread: pyrit unable to analyze or attack as it cannot find scapy 2.x

Hybrid View

Default pyrit unable to analyze or attack as it cannot find scapy 2.x

Having procured a bunch of large wordlists i decided to test my WPA key and see if anyone's come up with the odd permutation i used to set it up. However, turns out that pyrit isnt very happy with the current setup and can't find scapy. I checked to make sure that scapy is installed (scrapy 2.5), searched this forum and google, and the only thing i came up with was a dead-end thread on pyrit's forums regarding osx having this issue.

When running pyrit to attack or analyze a handshake i get the following stating that it cant find scapy. As pyrit's been moved from the /pentest dir into /usr/bin and all of its corresponding files have gone to the wind i'm a bit confused as to how one is to configure all of this. Has anyone run into this yet? Did i break some dependency along the way? I figure if this were to be a common problem it would be well documented here...

Pyrit 0.2.5-dev (C) 2008, 2009 Lukas Lueg pyrit - Project Hosting on Google Code
    This code is distributed under the GNU General Public License v3

Connecting to storage... connected

Scapy 2.x is required to use Pyrit's analyze/attack functions but seems to be unavailable.

Very good friend of the forum drgr33n's Avatar

Have you upgraded anything from the package manager ? Does /usr/lib/python*/scapy exist ?

I did a apt-get dist-upgrade recently, and /usr/lib/python2.5 and 2.4 do NOT contain a scapy folder even though synaptic and apt get show scapy to be installed.

btw, Dr Green, the 666 post count is definitely a good way to ring in the new year

[EDIT]
    Sorry thought it said it was in the 2.4 folder. Just compile and install scapy from source and remove the one installed from the package manager.

hahaha I didn't see that :-D Well spotted there may be trouble ahead hahaha

where's the symlink created from? locate scapy returns a bunch of stuff - what do i point the link to?

Sorry RageLtMan I thought you said the it did exist in the python2.4 folder. Install scapy from source for mow or wait till purehate has updated the repo.

Developer

He is right, seems I forgot to upgrade scapy. Thanks I'll get it fixed asap

Developer

If you want it fixed right now just do this:
    Code:
    root@bt:~# wget http://hg.secdev.org/scapy/archive/tip.zip

root@bt:~# unzip tip.zip 

root@bt:~# cd scapy-239e7f0ef70f/

root@bt:~/scapy-239e7f0ef70f# ./setup.py build

root@bt:~/scapy-239e7f0ef70f# ./setup.py install

root@bt:~/scapy-239e7f0ef70f# cd ..

Thanks guys. Pureh@te, will i be able to remove the manually installed scapy once the repos are updated?

EDIT: Pureh@te, i did the setup.py build, then built an rpm out of it, used alien to convert the rpm into a deb and now cant install said deb due to conflicts with the python-scapy package (which i cant remove as its needed by a bunch of other stuff) without using force-overwrite (which i did) . however, if you want the deb, i have it, or you could just go through the same process to make your own in case security (trojans, back doors, etc) is a concern. Happy new year btw everyone