Thread: AWUS036H on Backtrack 3

Just burned his ISO

Default AWUS036H on Backtrack 3

I'm running Backtrack 3 on VM workstation and recently had bought the AWUS036H (Which is beastly). When I do an airmon-ng to see my interfaces name nothing comes up. When I go to VM and make sure to disconnect my device from host computer and connect it to the VM a message comes up saying my device could not be connected and to make sure if the device is on a different USB port to make sure its reconnected properly or something. Am I doing something wrong or is there something I still have yet to do to get airmon-ng to recognize my adapter.

All help is appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Meow1 View Post
    I'm running Backtrack 3 on VM workstation and recently had bought the AWUS036H (Which is beastly). When I do an airmon-ng to see my interfaces name nothing comes up. When I go to VM and make sure to disconnect my device from host computer and connect it to the VM a message comes up saying my device could not be connected and to make sure if the device is on a different USB port to make sure its reconnected properly or something. Am I doing something wrong or is there something I still have yet to do to get airmon-ng to recognize my adapter.

All help is appreciated. Thanks.
    get BT4 beta version vmware image I rekon..

If you cannot connect the USB device from the host platform, its because the device is in use by the host. Mainly because you have installed the driver on the host platform which rendered the device in use and therefore cannot be detached.

This is a well documented user error issue and can be solved if you google around or via checking the vmware forums.

Just burned his ISO

I uninstalled the drivers on XP. Restart the computer. Boot up BT3 in VMworkstation. Then when I go to VM and removable devices to connect my adapter the message still pops up. Everytime. It says

A USB device that was previously attached to this CM could not be automatically reconnected. If the device is still available but resides on a different USB port, you will need to reconnect it manually.

No matter what I do with any adapter it gives me that error. Even if the drivers were installed on host machine wouldn't VM workstation still be able to disconnect it from the host to use on the VM.

I tried BT4 and it also doesn't recognize my adapter. I know my adapter is in the list of compatible adapters so that's not the issue.

Okay. So now I'm just gonna boot from USB. That should eliminate any problems with host machine. But now I've got a new problem. I'm running all this on a netbook. I've downloaded BT3 USB version and gone through the necessary procedures to get it bootable. I boot up BT3 on my netbook. When I login with root and toor I go to start the GUI by typing startx it gives me some error. It won't start up. I type confx to configure it for my graphics card then type startx and it gives me a new error this time saying my video ram may be too low.

Is there a fix to this or what would you recommend I do?

BTW sorry for double post but I'd like this post to bump my topic anyways.

Fixed my problem. Mods looking at my posts please disregard any previous posts awaiting approval. Just posting this so others know it's fixed and won't worry about it. Even though I doubt anyone would worry too much about my problems anyways.

Thanks.

It isn't the issue with BT4's inability to find the adapter nor would vmware workstation or any of its products will still be able to disconnect it from the host platform to use on the VM. This is clearly an user error.

What you said in the second paragraph clearly indicates that VMware was not able find the device and/or it may still be in use by the host platform.

Read the informations posted on both this forum as well as vmware forums. It is a simple issue and there is a simple fix.

Meow, btw- I just purchased same card so searched the forum in anticipation of setting mine up when it arrives ..
    look for thread " Need Help with my Alfa AWUS036H(not recognized in bt2,3,4,aircrack suite) " -i cant post the link yet

Just burned his ISO

Hey, I have a fairly similar problem, in BT3 when I connect my AWUS036H adapter it works for a few minutes, then every USB device suddenly connected gets unrecognized (Including external HDD's and everything else), by BT3 and windows forcing me to format the computer. I have no idea how or why this happens but its becoming extremely frustrating. If anyone has answers i'd be really grateful!

~Fluidic Ice~

Sounds like your computer is infected, no OS would force you to format your computer.

Meow1,
    Which netbook do you have? Can you please try and boot the new BT4 from a USB stick / DVD.

Check your bios settings there might be something wrong in there.

as for configuring X

Code:
    X -configure && X -config /root/xorg.conf
    then copy over your xorg.conf to the standard directory.

Code:
    cp /root/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    If your still having problems paste back the exact error messages.
    Mathematical reasoning may be regarded rather schematically as the exercise of a combination of two facilities, which we may call intuition and ingenuity.