Thread: Cheap UltraPortable Hacktop

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Cheap UltraPortable Hacktop

Im looking for a decent ultraportable hacktop.
    That means 13" or lower.
    I want it to be cheap, good for hacking, have a built in wireless card that will work with backtrack and C&A.
    I want a decent proccesser (1.6ghz or higher mabye) and at least 100GB of space or a RAIDS accepter i got 4 HDD's.
    I want to be able to bring it around alot, use it on my lap so a verry nice fan set up.
    As for OS, no Mac.
    I use atm Windows XP, Partitioned win 7 and Ubuntu, with a Backtrack liveUSB so i need a USB accepter.
    Price range is as cheap as possible.
    Gaming is not important, but if possible Counter Strike Source.

If you have a hacktop wit different specs, post it anyways, whats your idea of a perfect hacktop or one for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Side Winder View Post
    Im looking for a decent ultraportable hacktop.
    That means 13" or lower.
    I want it to be cheap, good for hacking, have a built in wireless card that will work with backtrack and C&A.
    I want a decent proccesser (1.6ghz or higher mabye) and at least 100GB of space or a RAIDS accepter i got 4 HDD's.
    I want to be able to bring it around alot, use it on my lap so a verry nice fan set up.
    As for OS, no Mac.
    I use atm Windows XP, Partitioned win 7 and Ubuntu, with a Backtrack liveUSB so i need a USB accepter.
    Price range is as cheap as possible.
    Gaming is not important, but if possible Counter Strike Source.

If you have a hacktop wit different specs, post it anyways, whats your idea of a perfect hacktop or one for me?
    I think you will be hard pressed to find something like this, at a cheap price. Especially with all the variables its probably going to be custom.

I use a lenovo ideapad s10e and it is working perfekt!
    www.myownremote.blogspot.com

Its got to be a choice from either the 'Samsung N' or Asus eee' range of netbooks.

I haven't used any of the wireless 'b/g/n' chipsets in BT. However if I was getting a netbook I'd do some serious research into witch 'N' chipset works with aircrack.

For me order of importance would be

Weight
    Wireless 'N' that works with aircrack
    resolution
    battery life
    size
    price
    Mathematical reasoning may be regarded rather schematically as the exercise of a combination of two facilities, which we may call intuition and ingenuity.

Get the original eeePc. You should be able to find them on fleabay pretty cheap. They're ungodly hackable, and if you do end up breaking it, you're not out too much money.

Just burned his ISO

you should check out the ASUS eee pc 1008HA... i got one for $320 a few months ago... Backtrack runs perfectly on it. You can even boot it off an SD card (which is kinda better than USB booting because there is nothing sticking out of the laptop. the card goes all the way inside). It's one of the lightest netbooks I've seen (2.4lbs). It comes stock with 1gb RAM & 160gb HDD (partitioned in 2 equal parts but you can undo that). The only problem I've had with this computer is that the motherboard will fry if you try to upgrade the RAM or the HDD.

I've got a 10" eeePC and an Acer aspire one. Both are great as portable hacking platforms and both work with BT3 and BT4 out of the box. I use both for wireless assessments and haven't had any problems.

If I had to choose, I'd pick the Acer since I like the keyboard better (better placement and size of the shift and enter keys).

Good Luck...

I have an Eee PC 701 and a Lenovo S10e. The Eee is 800MHz, 4GB SD drive, 7" screen. $300 new. BT4 runs via an 8GB SD.

The Lenovo S10e is close to what you describe. 1.6GHz, 160GB HD, 10" screen. $375 new. It runs BT4 via USB.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

my 2 cents are to watch some sale forums like slickdeals.net, check out past sales to give yourself a "baseline of discounts" and then decide what you will be able to get for your price range
    "Sure is for people with nothing on the line.....you and me? We just get on with it."

-Garabaldi

Just burned his ISO

Buy something cheap and lite with decent battery life. Don't buy a laptop just for the nic. Get a usb nic if the inbuilt one doesn't support functions you want to use. Who gives a damn about the processor and memory, run lightweight debian with blackbox and remote to a server somewhere to do any number crunching.