Thread: AWUS036NH power alert

Hybrid View

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

Default AWUS036NH power alert

THE NEW ALFA
    To one of our rf experts, isnt 2w slightly dangerous? Also, I understand 2w is 4x 500mw (awus036h) but what kind of real world signal increases are we looking at here?
    Can backtrack even set tx power to 2000mw?
    Also what would be the radiated power at the antenna, using an 18db yaggi
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8ľbyte space, on purpose.

Killa,

Well, I would like to test one. I have the earlier 036H unit and use it often.

Some comments:

...Looks like it does have higher power but hard to tell the exact comparison since the specs are apples and oranges (different conditions).

...More important is the sensitivity...which measures the receiver capability. It does no good to increase the Tx power if you can not "see" or hear the AP.
    On sensitivity, it looks about the same....so, not a clear benefit. On my 036H, once I "see" an AP on airodump-ng I can usually bump up the Tx power to connect.

...The capability to set the Tx power on the Alfa exists on kernels < 2.6.31 but was lost on the 2.6.31. So, dependent on the kernel used in BT, you may or may not have TX power setting capability.

...Yes, the higher the TX Power...the higher the health risk. Separate yourself from the antenna....since power decreases by the inverse of the distance squared.

...Actual power transmitted depends on many things (loss of cable and antenna as well as the Tx from the unit.....which depends on the notes above).

A

Output Power 802.11b : 33dBm▒1
    802.11g : 32dBm▒1
    802.11n (HT20) : 32dBm▒1
    802.11n (HT40) : 33dBm▒1

Sensitivity 11b: -92dBm
    11g: -76dBm
    11n: -73dBm@HT20
    -70dBm@HT40

Output Power 24dBm (OFDM), 30dBm(CCK)

Sensitivity for 802.11b 1, 2 Mbps (BPSK, QPSK): - 96dBm
    11 Mbps (CCK): -91dBm
    (Typically @PER < 8% packet size 1024 and
    @25║C + 5║C)

Sensitivity for 802.11g 54Mpbs (64QAM): -76dbm
    48Mbps (64QAM): -71dbm
    36Mpbs (16QAM): -78dbm
    24Mbps (16QAM): -80dbm
    18Mbps (QPSK): -81dbm
    12Mpbs (QPSK): -82dbm
    9Mbps (BPSK): -85dbm
    6Mbps (BPSK): -91dbm
    (typically @PER < 10% packet size 1024 and @25║C + 5║C)

Has anyone tried out if AWUS036NH injects normally?

It won't inject with BT4 out of the box, because as we can see it here the Awus036nh has a Ralink RT3070 chipset which is actually not working in monitor & injection. You can try this: Tutorial how to install Ralink RT3070 drivers for injection on Ubuntu (use google to translate, it's in french), it may work with Backtrack.
    Last edited by M1ck3y; 08-05-2010 at 09:23 PM.
    --~ Internet is in the air we are breathing, so it should be free for everyone. We'll get there, just wait and see... ~--

Quote Originally Posted by M1ck3y View Post
    It won't inject with BT4 out of the box, because as we can see it the Awus036nh has a Ralink RT3070 chipset which is actually not working in monitor & injection. You can try this: Tutorial how to install Ralink RT3070 drivers for injection on Ubuntu(use google to translate, it's in french), it may work with Backtrack.
    Thanks for the reply M1ck3y. I was not asking if it injects out of the box, I'm interested if it injects at all because I'm in doubt to buy it or not. I don't understand french but as far as I understood from the Google translation of the thread that you provided it works well in both injecting and monitoring, can you please confirm it?
    Thank you in advance for your help.

Yes, that's it, you need first to install Ralink rt2800 (USB) support (EXPERIMENTAL) driver following the tutorial, and both monitoring and injection should work fine.
    --~ Internet is in the air we are breathing, so it should be free for everyone. We'll get there, just wait and see... ~--

Awesome , that's the info that I needed. Thanks a lot for the information, M1ck3y!