Thread: airodump doesn't detect networks with BT4 RT2870

Just burned his ISO

Default airodump doesn't detect networks with BT4 RT2870

Hello,

I installed BT4 on hard disk succesfully. I have a Edimax Usb Adapter which uses Ralink chipset/driver RT2870.

The problem is airodump doesn't detect any network. I tried running first airomon to put de adapter in monitor mode and whitout do it and nothing. Airodump starts O.K. but no network is displayed.

The same hardware works fine with Ubuntu 9.04 (detecting a lot of networks), but I want it working on BT4 to be able to use injection (and to learn).
    I read some posts here and it seems to me that using BT4 and this hardware I don't need to do anything else (I mean download another driver, recompile, etc.).

Can anybody help me with this? Or give me a usefull link? I read about nemesis driver, compat-wireless, etc. but I can't decide if any of these post apply to my case.

Thank you very much in advance !!!

Which BT4? beta or pre final?

Have you tried upgrading the kernel if its pre final? or have you tried bt4 pre final if its beta?

Have you tried using the other interface instead of the standard interface?

Detecting alot of networks in ubuntu? with what? networkmanager? I think that's with a different mode, one is station and the other is monitor.. both are quite different.

Are you aware that you may not be able to inject because the driver currently available can only handle normal connection?

Just burned his ISO

Hello Hatake,

thank you very very much for answer. As a begginer, it's very difficult to me to know how to continue when something fails.

Which BT4? beta or pre final?
    I'm using BackTrack 4 Pre Release (bt4-pre-final.iso)

Have you tried upgrading the kernel if its pre final?
    No. Must I do it?

Have you tried using the other interface instead of the standard interface?
    I don't understand. Wich interface do you mean?
    Are you talking about the desktop environment (currently I use KDE)? I also tried without running up the windowed enviroment.
    Do you mean wireless interface? I think I have just one interface, the "ra0" one...

Detecting alot of networks in ubuntu? with what? networkmanager? I think that's with a different mode, one is station and the other is monitor.. both are quite different.
    Well, with ubuntu 9.04, Gnome and the default network manager I detect about 20 wireless network (Access Points ) and about five of them with a very strong signal. Using aircrack-ng from Ubuntu (first disabling the network manager) I can still detect about ten (this quantity is variable) Access Points and many stations.

Are you aware that you may not be able to inject because the driver currently available can only handle normal connection?
    I'm not clear about it. I read somewhere that BT4 have the drivers (in my case rt2870) already patched and there is no need to do anything else. Am I wrong with this? Need I to download|modify|recompile another driver to replace the one that comes with BT4?

I tried:
    1) Boot the computer with BT4 installed on hard disk. Started the KDE environment. O.K., no errors.
    2) Put the adapter in monitor mode with "airomon start ra0". O.K., no errors.
    3) Start airodump with --write prefix ra0, O.K., no errors but no access point (neither stations) are showed.

I tried too:
    - Not to start KDE
    - Not to first do 2) and lunch airodump directly.

I'll be very grateful for any suggestion, advice, etc.

Best regards...

Its a good idea if you can also try to upgrade to the latest kernel.

I thought you had an interface named wlan0, seems like you're using the sta driver.

I do believe in ubuntu, the mode is different from airodump-ng and from the various sources I have read, the driver seems to be locked into specific channels.

I don't think you can actually inject if anything, most likely not in 802.11n specifics. Most of the patches, such as the nemesis patch only adds extra usb id to the driver. The driver is still new and you're probably better best off waiting for serialmonkey's version of the driver (this requires bleeding edge kernel and/or wireless-compat as I think rt2800 has been gaining some support).

Just burned his ISO

So, just to leave it clear as clear water:
    BT4 haven't the correct driver for injection and I have two options:
    1) Wait until somebody patchs the driver (too boring)
    2) Try to install wireless-compat
    Am I rigth? Lets go for wireless-compat !

Regards...

No actually, there's another option.
    3) Sell that dongle and get something that isn't 802.11n capable, you may have much better chance of getting things to work without breaking many things.